The Jazz Spectacular

Author's note: What inspired me to write this piece was the way my mom doesn't has much money but still...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: What inspired me to write this piece was the way my mom doesn't has much money but still survives.I wanted to show the world that no matter what situation you are in, you can make it through.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

I Aints Got No Money For No Bus Fare

Later on, I got out of the shower and got dressed. Today, I was going down to the Cotton Club. They have their little gatherings throughout the week so I am right on time. Some of ‘dem mens down there are pretty good looking so I put on the last of my red lipstick and grabbed one of my stylish hats. I know that Lee Simpson thinks pretty high of me, but a girl gotta have fun! I picked up my purse from the dirty clothes stack and rubbed a little of my soap across it to give it a good smell. After I was done, I looked like a goddess. One inch high heels, short red and white polka dot dress, but easy on the hips, black hat over my right eye, and red lip stick saying, “Come and get me!” I then walked out and locked my door. “Lawd please let my apartment be here when I gets back.” I walked outside and smelled the fresh air. Soon as I stepped out on the streets of Harlem, I got my walk on. The peoples just didn’t know that I was on a mission. A mission to pay back my rent. I walked down to Fredrick Douglas Blvd and waited for the 8:00 a.m. bus. It ain’t been a while so I hopes ole John lets me ride for free. The bus pulled up right besides me and John was behind the seat. I gots on the bus and gave John that look that told him “I aints got no money.” I went to the back off the bus and sat down. Me and John done been through this before. He understands that us black folks ain’t got no money for no bus fare! I was on the bus at least for an hour. I then saw a sign that said “Lenox Avenue.” Cotton Club, here comes mama. The bus stopped right by the Cotton Club, Me and some mo’ folks got off. Some went in the Cotton Club and somes went walking in the park. As for me, my mission involved the Cotton Club. I looked up at the sun. It was 9: 15 a.m. ‘Good times,’ as the old folks would say. I wents in the Cotton Club and paid my 50 cents to get in.