The Jazz Spectacular

Author's note: What inspired me to write this piece was the way my mom doesn't has much money but still...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: What inspired me to write this piece was the way my mom doesn't has much money but still survives.I wanted to show the world that no matter what situation you are in, you can make it through.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

'Bout Time Dem Lights Off

The sun was shining through my thin fabric curtains, that my mom had bought before I moved to Harlem, and the sun’s rays beat upon my skin. The bed screeched when I got up to put on my bathrobe. I put on my slippers and went into the bathroom. Before the light turned on in the bathroom, it flickered and then expectantly blinked off. “Thank God the lights off ‘cause I wouldn’t gone to pay that sad excuse for a dang-blame landlord.,” I whispered to myself. I got a rag and damped it with some warm water to wash my dull, dirty face. “The Lord done blessed me to see one mo’ day,” I said, despairingly, “but what for, anyway? I have nothing to live for anymore. Ain’t nothing to do in Harlem. I should’ve stayed with momma. But no, I had to spring out on my own. All I got is $100 left and that ain’t enough to pay the light bill, electric bill, water bill, groceries, and back rent!” I walked over to the table in the corner of my bedroom to look at how much back rent I got. To concentrate, I turned on the radio to hear about the local news. “Today, we’ll have some music from Duke Ellington,” the radio announcer said. The music played and it filled my ears with a melodic beat. I got out a sheet of paper and wrote down every debt I owed to ‘dem ole bills. I cried out, “Good Lord. $759. 84. I don’t use that much of the water company’s stickin’ water. Dang!” The music stopped playing. “Wow, wasn’t that great Harlem. Duke Ellington. Anybody would pay big money to come see him perform. ‘Cause it don’t mean a thang if you ain’t got that swang.”
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »