How To Be Popular | Teen Ink

How To Be Popular

By xTheKillerDollx SILVER, Wood Dale, Illinois
xTheKillerDollx SILVER, Wood Dale, Illinois

Tiffany: Well i'm not getting pregnant again. My mother always said once is a blessing, twice is a curse.
Chucky: Well that would explain your sister...
-Seed of Chucky-

Author's note: What inspired me to write this is my crush getting a girl friend and how my friends tried to brake them up but yet now i know he wasn't worth any of my time, heres to you dude!

this is kinda true except it was on the guys channel NOT the girl friends channel in real life

Ugh What can I say, it’s a talent. A talent that I use to often in the art of screwing up. “ Missy J!” my mom yelled. And it was normal for her to do that. I ran downstairs as quick as I could and I almost crashed onto Charlie, my dog. I could tell she was going to yell about something I did or said. “ What is this about you being obsessed about some guy?” she asked, but I could feel the anger in her voice. I knew this sounded bad but, as my friends say, I’m a devoted crush and may have crossed the line sometime. ‘What! Who said that!?” I exclaimed as I looked at the computer screen. And yes, I knew it. It was Dona who had posted it on Facebook. Oh I just LOVE Facebook! A place for people to say rude things about each other. And the sad thing is it got twenty-four likes and twelve comments. “ So you still have a crush on Rick!” my mom exclaimed.

I must say she is persistent to make me move on from him. “That’s…well…true..but… what if he asks me out and..” But before I could finish I remembered everything in fifth grade, the teasing, the harassment, the songs, and of course his face. He was haunting me. Only because I made a mistake by trying to make him like me instead of Veira, who of course was in the popular clique. I ran up stairs, this time not crashing into Charlie, and then going to bed. But tomorrow was a school day and I had to prepare for the encounter of the popular kind.

The conversation i had with Alexus is a REAL conversation, just tweaked it a little

Well school was ok, well it was more than ok because I got the best novel ever. Its called How To Be Popular by Meg Cabot. And I love how the main character is a girl who wants to be popular who’s well… almost like me.. except for her having brown hair and me having blonde hair. But we are alike. We have friends who are different than us. In this case my friends are obsessed with Justin Bieber.. well except Julia and Liz. And we both had friends who were are mini crushes. Except I grew out of mine when I saw Rick. Any ways I was texting my Best Friend Alexus. It was a good talk though.

Justine: Dude me and Hannah prank called Rick
Alexus: Wow what did you guys say?
Justine: Well I sort of ran away after he answered and Hannah asked him if he liked me.
Alexus: Well what did he say!
Justine: Well I would tell you but it swears. That hes doing his homework and his moms gonna kill him if he dosnt finish.
Alexus: Well what if its an excuse to not talk to you and to not say his fealings for you? Ever think about that?
Justine: Yep..

And after that we got off our phones. And then that’s when my mind started to wonder. What IF I can gain popularity? What IF then Rick asks me out and he’s not joking around to scar my heart? I just had to try. I HAD to.

L.A to health was his plan not mine

I told my best friends about my idea and lets just say that.. well… they cant see me being a girly-girl. “ Come on guys its not that hard to pull off. I mean look at Mandy.” I said jokingly. “ Oh ha-ha Justine. It actually takes a lot of work to be like me. Witch is hard to do because..” I didn’t give Mandy time to finish. “ Because you spill everything on yourself.” We all could agree.
“ But Justine, WHY do you want to dress like Mandy and act like a well.. conceited jerk who gets anything she wants?” Alexus asked. “ Ya and you’ll wear those stupid shirts that say stuff about having an attitude.” Julia said. “ And you’ll be judged a lot by the way you look!” Liz Exclaimed. “ Well don’t you guys want to move up on the Social status? And get out of being socially awkward? I mean I want to be something.” I said. “ Justine, you have an amazing voice that well…. all the popular girls want to have.” Liz said. And I can say Liz was very pure about that stuff and believed to be who you are. And well I must say I have respect for her because of that. Oh well lunch was over and it was time to go to L.A. And then Health witch we were learning about smoking. Hey what could go wrong?

the title of this was actually what a guy said to me. He was a real rude kid. he was also popular haha

Well everything that could go wrong DID go wrong! Boys picked on me saying that I’m not pretty enough to be crushing on the popular boys and to think of being popular. And then people started throwing spit balls at me and I must say I hate having to take showers after school. And this settled the fact: I wasn’t pretty enough to be in the A crowd. And things had to change before it was to late. And I mean before the end of the school year. And this was going to take drastic measurements to become the one who could be excepted. And I would be able to hang out with the popular girls. And then I would be able to date Rick.

This is a hairstyle i got and i did wear that outfit i mentioned. i don't shop at Hollister though.

It was Saturday. Boy the week went by fast. Witch meant it was time for shopping. Which I hate! But now that I have the book I can dress Like Stephanie, the main character, dressed and gain popularity. Yet I haven’t finished the book I think she ends up being popular and is the hottest girl in the school and gets her crush. So I took the book with and chose what I want from the book and buy the stuff from it that’s in style and I must say there was a lot of stuff at Aeropostal and Hollister that was in style.
And I took the advice from the book and applied it. Witch was shoes must match the outfit. And I tried on my black Aeropostal shirt with my black stretch pants and black convers. And then I noticed my hair. It was to wavy! I had to get my hair done. Then on Sunday I went to my hair dressers place and I got my hair straightened and layered. I just loved it! All I have to say is on Monday all the popular girls better watch out! Because Justine has changed and she is ready to do what the book says.

Crazy fan was one of the things i was called along with stalker, creepy, weirdo. but i wasn't any of them.

Well I must say I did get all eyes on me during musical practice. Maybe because my looks are now unstoppably hot now. Because that’s what the boys looked like they were thinking. And after musical practice ended me , Jessica, Rucha and Liz walked to our lockers and even as we were walking no eighth or seventh grade boy or girl trampled us as we walked. For once I felt some sort of honor to be stared at the whole time. It wasn’t at strange atmosphere were you think you did something wrong. After advisory I went to my first class which was Social studies and I saw one of the popular girls whispering while looking at me.

Then I got stopped by Dona who stepped in front of me and said “ What do you think your doing? You cant look like us. We are the people who are born for this not like you who settle on the bottom and stay there.” Was it just me or was that cold? But I got far enough in the book that told me to act pleasant and genuine to your personality. So I didn’t say anything rude or anything I just said “ so how was your weekend? I hope it was great! And are those new DC shoes? Because they are awesome and fit you perfectly!” “ What did you just say?” Dona said rudely and I replied “ Oh I just said I hope you had a good weekend. And that I like your DC shoes.” And I looked into Dona’s heavily Mascaraed eyes and waited for a response. Then after the period ended I passed Rick I and said “ Hi hope you had a great weekend.” And he looked at me strangely and turned to Dona and asked “ Who was she?” and Dona replied “ That was Justine. You know Justine your obsessed fan!” And I smiled.

the Grove is by my school and thats were a lot of students will actually fight.

Well at gym all the boys were looking at me. Not Dona, not Carol, not Samantha, me! But the funny thing is was during lunch I got notes from every boy and every popular girl. Now the boys said in the notes “do you like me?” but the girls said well this, “ Back off and you wont get hurt!” is what Carol wrote. “ The power of popularity is only mend for hot people so back off!” Bebe wrote. But the weirdest on I got was from Dona saying,
“ Meet me at the Grove after your musical practice or never dress like that again..” I was astounded for that the popular girl who was dating my crush wanted to meet me at the Grove! This was going to boost my popularity!
So after the musical we met in the Grove and the strange thing is all the other popular girls were there too. I asked, “ So what are…” But I couldn’t finish because Samantha then had punched me in the face. And, not to sound wimpy ( which the book says never to do!), but that hurt badly! And I could faintly hear Dona saying “ What the heck Samantha! Gosh I think you knocked her out! What do we do!?” And then I blacked out and when I woke up I was in Dona’s house and she was helping me. Ya I know it scared me too. Then she told me “ I’m only doing this so I wont get into trouble with law suits and stuff.” And then I finally I woke up and gained conscience to wake up and say, “ Why did you want me to go to The Grove?” and she replied, “ So I could help you with a hair style for your outfit silly!” And that’s when I became friends with Dona.

When I came to school the next day all the populars people were all happy-go-lucky to me and were so different! And my weird radar went off to tell me something wasn’t right. Then hand in hand Dona and Rick came up to me and asked me so many questions, “ Hey aren’t your parents out of town tomorrow on a vacation and your stuck with being home alone right?” Dona asked. And I replied, “ Ya they actually left this morning but their coming back in the morning.” Then I saw Rick look at Dona and frown. What was she up to that would make him frown?

Then Dona asked, “ Well the Forest Preserved caught us last year and were not allowed to stay there after dark any more so me and the other girls were wondering if we could have the party at your house. And I swear on Ricks life that we wont damage anything.” And I replied “well, ok sure, as long as you be careful of my moms vases and all my mom and dads stuff.” “Yes! Thanks Justine you’re the best I knew we could count on you!” yelled Dona. “Ya thanks from keeping us from going to that smaller house hahaha! Don’t worry we will be careful!” Samantha said (or as I now call her gorilla fist.) “Ya. Hey Dona, I’m going to hang out with Justine for a while.” Rick said. “ Sure just don’t make me wait to long to be walked down to lunch.” And she walked away laughing. “ So what do you need to talk to me about?” I asked Rick. “ Look you cant allow them into your house they will rip it up and I swear they will get you under arrest. They do it every year didn’t you know? I mean were all in the same grade and last year they did it to Amy.” Rick replied. “ No she helped me from getting passed out. No, she would never do that and if you think that for a second I will… uh will…. You know what just to prove you wrong here’s a key to my house. Come here as early as possible.” I said and I gave him the key. “Don’t worry I will be there.” Said Rick and then he left. This was it my chance to be popular! But was it to good to be true?

Everything wasn't ok after the guy and the girl in real life got together. the threats and the harassment in this book are TRUE.

Should I let them in or should I tell them to go home? It was a terrible predicament I got my self into. Well its was 7:22 and any minute now Rick would come in to watch and see that I was right. Then I heard all of them, Drake, Samantha, Todd(Samantha’s boy friend), Bebe, Jenson(Bebe’s boyfriend), and of course Dona and Carol came talking and laughing with each other. “Hey Justine were here! Open up we got everything with us!” Yelled Todd. “Ya we brought the ceg of beer, and we brought baseball bats. And….” But that was all I needed to hear from Samantha to start blocking the door from the inside. I had to use my self though to hold it so I had to lock it too. “ Gosh Justine, hurry up were gettin tired here!” yelled Bebe. “Um guys your going to need to take the party else were.” I said as I was holding the door shut. Dona shrieked, “ Justine open up! Or else!” “I cant believe it, she’s telling us off!” Jenson yelled. “One things for sure she’s going to regret it tomorrow at school! And that’s a promise!” Dona yelled. And after I heard them leave I busted into tears. “ Shhhhh Justine its going to be ok.” I heard Rick say.
“ How….how did you get in here?” I asked while chocking on tears. “ Remember you gave me a key to your house.” Rick replied. And as Rick came towards me a baseball crashed through the window. Rick ducked and picked up the ball. But before he tossed it back out side he saw that in ruby red lipstick said, “ Were over!” And of course it was from Dona. Then Rick sat right beside me and said, “ Everything will be ok.” And then he promised me he would never hurt me.

i wish this was true

Well it was Dooms-Day for me and my amazing uproar of popularity for sure. Me and Rick were walking down the hallway. His arm around my neck and me just standing there all in love. It was the last day of school and I couldn’t be happier. Then Dona came up to us in Greg’s( The volleyball star at our school) arms around her. I can tell they were kissing due to the fact there was some pink lipstick on his cheek and lips. “ Well if it isn’t little miss Justine. The biggest party wrecker!” she said in a very hateful voice. Then Rick chimed in saying, “ Look Dona we don’t want any trouble,” as the rest of the popular clique started coming up to watch what was happening, “ were just going to gym and,” but before Rick could finish Dona said, “ Save it Egor I’m here to deliver what’s rightfully Justine’s.” She said arrogantly. “ You know what Dona, I said “I’m done with you and your phony B.S. And you know what,” I said stepping closer and closer while peering into those dark eyes, “ All that I think matters is that you just cant handle that the beauty is from the inside so you have to flaunt everyone who doesn’t have the looks, or the rudeness. So I suggest you leave me and Rick alone.” I said feeling very powerful. And all I saw in Dona’s eyes was fear. “ Gosh, back off freak! If I’m so rude why do I have so many friends?” she asked. “actually Dona you are very rude and arrogant.” Samantha said. Then all the others stood behind me and then we all agreed that I was right. She was being rude. Then Greg got off of her and followed us. Then Dona was left all alone. And for once she was the one with no one. But I couldn’t of let her be alone so I asked if she wanted to join us and all she did was swear at me and leave.

The rest of the day went by perfectly. Dona had left all of us and never spoke to anyone again for the rest of the day. And now me and Rick are dating. And every night before I go to bed exactly at 10:30 right after Family Guy I get a text message and it says “ You will always be popular in my heart.” And its from my boyfriend Rick.

End of Book One

directed to my "sister" who talked about this on facebook :p

as a little note to people who think this is about my ex. crush, to answer, yes it is!
but i don't like him anymore and i'm getting kinda p.o.ed that people are all like omg and showing him. no this is old i did this in 6th grade! I'M OVER HIM! this is when he got his girlfriend and i was ticked! so i wrote this! this is not about whats going on right now.
just wanted to answer all the drama this book caused :p

Onjanee BRONZE said...
on Nov. 22 2013 at 9:51 am
Onjanee BRONZE, Benton Harbor, Michigan

"If anything is worth doing its worth trying"

Your right someone really needs to compliment it. i think its very interesting, what about you. do you like it.

on Oct. 4 2013 at 7:51 pm
TimexxFlies GOLD, Sunland, California

I don't know the key to success. However, the key to failure is trying to please everybody. ~Bill Cosby

It needs work. A lot. It has a good plot, but needs work.

on Apr. 25 2013 at 7:49 pm
KiraVogt2896 SILVER, La Canada Flintridge, California

'Our love is like the wind... I can’t see it, but I sure can feel it.' By Landon, A Walk To Remember. Movie and book.

haha nevermind, I found it! You're writing is really good so far! :)

on Apr. 25 2013 at 7:48 pm

Im sorry, but where is the rest of the book?

bluhs said...
on May. 19 2012 at 8:37 pm
bluhs, E, Alabama
Never mind. I got help on forums. Great story, by the way.

bluhs said...
on May. 6 2012 at 8:40 pm
bluhs, E, Alabama
The book won't let me get any farther than the first chapter.

on Jan. 25 2012 at 5:34 pm
iloverontoomuch BRONZE, Mola Di Bari, Other
This is very cute, and I can tell you wrote it quiet a bit ago, I wrote a story like this except I was 13 :) It's called Infinity and Me But not about popularity :D This is kinda sad if parts of it did happen to you though

babysteps GOLD said...
on Dec. 17 2011 at 10:15 am
babysteps GOLD, Wayland, Massachusetts

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind."
~Mahatma Gandhi

This was a sweet book! I really enjoyed it, A nice easy read!:)

on Dec. 2 2011 at 5:44 pm
invisible.ink.pen PLATINUM, Pacific, Missouri

"We choose our joys and sorrows long before we experience them,"
-Kahlil Gibran

actually it isn't unrealistic. It's happened to me. All I did was show up with a cute little outfit and all of a sudden attention. All the girls glared and cussed at me to stay away. But who cares what they say? What's that song? Your beautiful no matter what they say? isn't that wat it says? This seems to be the theme here :)

on Dec. 2 2011 at 5:40 pm

-Kahlil Gibran

Well, I enjoyed this. Quick and to the point. All tied together with a happy ending? Perfect. I think this was pretty good if I must say so. I'm having trouble beginning my book. Everyone keep an eye out. It's going to be called: In Time for Christmas. So excited!!! :P

Mystiecub said...
on Nov. 17 2011 at 9:24 am

This was an alright book, though it was a little short for my liking. I think you could have extended the text to make each chapter more than about three paragraphs. Perhaps you could add a bit more imagery and detail? Also, this seemed a little rushed; like you just typed it up without looking over it. As a writer, that is a very bad idea :/

As mentioned, there are a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes. I don't need to review that.

I can believe that something like this would happen though. It happens all the time.

Aside from what's been said, this is an entertaining story.

on Oct. 16 2011 at 9:06 am
AlwaysAntlers SILVER, Kingsport, Tennessee

“Don't forget - no one else sees the world the way you do, so no one else can tell the stories that you have to tell.”
― Charles de Lint, (from his book,The Blue Girl)

This has a great storyline! It's a really good book, but there's a lot of spelling mistakes. Some of the popular people's reactions when she starts coming to school with a new look seem a bit unrealistic. It's a really good book, though,  and I loved the ending.

on Oct. 14 2011 at 11:23 am
Willflower.-.-. BRONZE, Yuma, Arizona

This is us. This is who we are. We demand attention.

Wow, I agree, if you touch this up a bit, It would be awesome.

on Sep. 15 2011 at 7:09 pm
StephanieY BRONZE, Glen Mills, Pennsylvania
i agree with you

Evan97 SILVER said...
on Aug. 24 2011 at 12:42 am
Evan97 SILVER, Madison Heights, Michigan

Deep down We are all insane.

So is anyone going to stop saying how bad spelling is and say weather the story line was good or not? Just A Question. 

on Aug. 20 2011 at 10:03 pm
emilybwrites SILVER, Villa Hills, Kentucky

last night i lay in bed, looking up at the stars and i thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling?

wow tthis was pretty good! please check out my poem "Forgotten Domain" and comment/rate :)

diamd123738 said...
on Aug. 15 2011 at 7:27 pm
so true!!!...lol

on Jul. 24 2011 at 2:49 pm
Danealle SILVER, Wheeling, Illinois

Anything is possible with a smile and goal in mind.

This is good, but you need to work on your technical skills. Other then that your life would make a good movie! lol

Check out my non-fiction book "Even Though"

on Jul. 22 2011 at 6:51 pm
CookieMonsterAttacks SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan

"I called you a lady, 'cause you're fat!" ~ Gracie G.

Wait...is this real?!?!

on Jul. 8 2011 at 3:09 pm
KristinHopkins8 SILVER, Aspen, Colorado

"If a writer falls in love with you, you can never die"

I have to tell you, the summary sounded a lot like several chick flicks that I've heard of before.