Friendship Becomes Love | Teen Ink

Friendship Becomes Love

By knsalvo21, Brunswick, Ohio
knsalvo21, Brunswick, Ohio

Chapter One.

This year was supposed to be way different than I'd ever imagined. After everything that happened last year, I thought I would never get back on my feet. My name is Brooklyn Walker and I'm 17 years old. This is my story. My story is a basic but amazing story. It is the end of the summer and I’m so happy to start my senior year. At a summer bash I got way too wasted too even drive home and I went up to my best guy friend Noah and asked him for a ride home. He told me that he was a little too tipsy to even drive himself home. I thought that all hope was lost until I found my knight in shining armour. Hayden Miller. Hayden is the type of guy that is dependable but don’t want as a boyfriend so to speak. So I stumble my way up to him as drunk as I am and I ask him for a ride home. He says sure because he didn’t have anything to drink at the party. So I give him my keys and put my life into his hands. He got me home safe and sound. Walked me up to my front doorstep and I opened my front door and I showed him to my room. My parents weren’t home so I knew that he could come inside and no one would find out I was drunk.

Then all I could remember is waking up in my own bed the next morning. I forgot to turn off my alarm, 7 am my screeching annoying sound is blaring in my ear and the only way for me to turn it off is to wake up. So that’s what I did. I had the worst hangover. Next thing I know I look on my nightstand and there is a posted note that read, “Call me when you wake up with a killer hangover 209-513-4504 -Hayden.” That was so sweet of him to leave a note. So I called him. Surprisingly he picked up his phone. “Well hello Brooklyn, how are you doing this fine morning?” “Horrible, I think I have the worst hangover known to man.” “I’ll be over in 15 minutes, go unlock the door and wait in your bed, I know where your room is.” He immediately hangs up the phone. I sit in my bed for a couple of minutes in confusion. But I got out of bed per his request, I was all groggy and in distraught. I unlocked the door and went back up in bed and fell back asleep. 20 minutes later, I get woken up by Hayden. “I’m here bearing gifts, move over.” “Uhh, what could you have possibly have brought me.” “Ok so before you called I looked up hangover foods and I found out that peppermint tea and chicken noodle soup helps, so I brought that over. I also brought over pickles, nuts, coffee with vanilla creamer and lastly guacamole and tortilla chips, oh and I also brought chick-fil-a” “Oh my gosh, what did I do to deserve all of this. Like I can’t believe that you would do this for someone you barely even know.” “Well for one thing you didn’t puke on my shoes, and I just thought it would be a nice gesture.” I laughed. “Well thank you so much, I hope you’re going to help me eat this.” “Oh definitely, I love all of this.” About 2 hours later, we both go for the last chicken nugget and I slapped his hand. “What was that for?” He asked me. “I think the person who has the killer hangover should get the last chicken nugget.” “And why is that, I think that the one who was sober all night and drove you home and I also dealt with you all night should get it but since I’m a gentleman, I’ll let you have it.” I go ahead and reach for the last chicken nugget and he slaps my hand. “What was that for you just said that I could have the last nugget” “You have to catch it in order to have it,” “Oh please, easy, come on try me” He throws it and it bounces off of my nose and onto my bed. We both reach for it and our hands touch at the same time. After we both pick our hands up and immediately he picks up the nugget and tries again. It takes a couple times but at the fourth time he finally gets it into my mouth. “Man I've never seen someone worse at throwing than me, and I’m pretty bad and you play football so you have the upper hand here.” After a couple hours of laughing and talking, Hayden had to leave for football practice and I was actually sad that he was leaving but we’ll probably talk soon. “Welp that was a fun time Brook, let’s do this again when you’re actually sober enough to remember it.” “Hey, I’m sober right now, it was probably from the chicken nugget.” He chuckled and I saw him blush a little. “Well, I gotta go, don’t you dare move, I'll show myself out.” After I heard the door close and he started his car and drove away, I immediately called my three best friends Avery, Scarlett and Noah. I called and told them to come over with candy because when I want candy it’s code for an emergency. So once they got here with the candy, I had to confess on what happened with Hayden and I. “So I have to confess something to you guys.” I said sounding a little bit nervous. “What is it you’re scaring us” Avery said with a shaky voice “I just hung out with Hayden Miller and we had a great time” “OMG this is huge!!!” They all said in excitement” “Explain everything to us, don’t leave out a single detail.” So I told them everything from getting wasted to him saying we should hang out again “Well what do you think you are going to do now?” Scarlett said after I finished. “That’s the thing this is the one time that I don’t know what or if anything’s going to happen and I like the mystery of it all.” “Well I love the idea, but my only one piece of advice Brook is to take this slow or it’ll end up like you know who.” Noah said with concern. You know who is my ex-boyfriend and my first real relationship. His name is Tristan, he was so good to me. Then something happened. His dad just up and left Tristan, his mom and little sister for his quote on quote new family. His mom starting drinking again after a 10 year sobriety. He took it all so hard. Started pushing away everyone, then our relationship became really toxic. He stopped calling, then it became no communication at all, then it turned into not showing up to school. I was so worried about him, and I wanted to be there for him, but I really didn’t know how. Then one day I went to his house and it was a complete disaster. I found out that he’d been drinking, but I didn’t want him to be alone, sober or not. As soon as I walked into his bedroom, it was like some light bulb flickered off in his mind and he just started yelling at me and hitting me. He was saying all of these nasty things towards me and I defended myself but as soon as I did. He told me he never loved me and how I was the worst thing to ever happen to him and how I was the reason his dad left because he didn’t approve of us ever being together. That’s the day that I finally told him that we are over for good. After I stormed out of his house I went home and went in my closet because I knew I couldn’t let anyone see me like this, because I've been so strong during it all. Especially Noah. Noah has been one of the few people that believed in me. He’s my rock, and for him to see me like this would break him, but I had to talk to someone. So I did text Noah, he came over and we talked for hours. For about 6 months I was really depressed. Didn’t really talk to anyone except Noah. He really helped me through all of it. I didn’t tell Avery and Scarlett until 3 months after all of it happened. But now I don’t want this relationship or more importantly friendship with Hayden to be screwed up by me doing something stupid and not trusting my guard. “But I want to be his friend first, so I don’t get all caught up in my feelings, if you know what I mean.” I confessed. “We completely agree with your decision with all of this, but don’t rush it.” Avery told me this and it completely stuck with me throughout the whole thing. After lots of text messages, Hayden and I planned a day trip to visit around the Los Angeles area because I told him how much I wanted to go to Venice Beach and the pier. So he picked me up around 9:30 am, I put on this cute dress with tan wedges and I brought some extra sandals just in case my feet got tired. I hopped into his gray Buick Regal and we drove off. “So what’s the first thing on our agenda Brook?” He said with a blush tone. “What’s the deal with calling me Brook all of the time?” I said laughing in between words. “I don’t know it just came to my mind when I first heard your name, do you want to change it?” “No.” “Why did you have this argument-” “You didn’t let me finish, I want you to pick the nickname.” “Well I am honored but I don’t know how good of names I can come up with.” “Well just think.” “Ok, ok, umm…. bubbles, daisy, buttercup, lady devil.” “What the hell is a lady devil and why would I be one.” We both started chuckling. “I got it.” He said with enthusiasm that I never thought he would ever have. “Well what is it?” “Ace.” “Nice, I like it, it flows nicely.” When we got to the pier at around 11:30 and the drive down was so nice. Talking, singing, dancing. We really got to know each other throughout the whole car ride. It was breathtaking to have this new friendship or maybe relationship and I didn’t have to worry about how I was acting. I can really be myself around him. We parked the car and he said “Hold on stay there.” He gave me this longing glance. “What are you looking at?” “You” he said while looking at the center console. “Oh really.” “I just want to remember the way you look right now.” “Whoever said you’ll forget?” He started blushing. “Just sit here, I want to be chivalrous.” “It’s 2018 you don’t have to do this, but I just want to tell you it is greatly appreciated.” He unlocks the door, gets out of the car and walks around the car and opens my door. “Well you’re much of a gentleman today. “Just doing things to make you happy.” We both blush. “Come on Ace, we have a lot of ground to cover.” “Let’s do it.” A couple hours have passed and we’re now getting food at this really good diner called Goodies and it’s on the pier. “I heard this place has amazing food, there’s also one by my house and I've eaten there a couple times.” I said kind of excited. “This place make you happy?” “Yes very much so.” “Well good.” We sit down and order our food. “So Ace, how’d you find this place.” “When I got my driver’s licence, I took my grandma here and we had the most amazing time. Then a week later, she passed away by a heart attack and that was my last memory of her at this place.” “Oh my gosh, why did I pick this place if it had that memory behind it.” “No don’t worry when I come here it reminds me of all the good times my grandma and I had together so don’t feel bad,” “I got a question.” He said curiously. “Shoot.” “What was your first impression of me?” “Well…. Haha. No, um do you want the sober or wasted impression.” “Wasted version first then sober.” “Starting with hard then easy, well my wasted impression is that you were a blurry person with keys to a car to take me home. I just want to let you know that I'm not like that all the time, I only went to that party because I was going through some stuff and my friends wanted me to have a good time, and I think that it all got to my head a little.” “What sort of thing were you going through?” “Oh just some things, I will eventually tell you I just don’t think this diner is the right time to share this type of story.” “Ok, I respect that, now the sober impression.” “Oh the hard one, no I'm just kidding. From the little time that we have known each other, you are a kind, genuine, thoughtful guy. And you don’t see very many guys like you anymore, and I hope I get to learn more about you.“Why thank you, you’re not half bad yourself.” I hit his arm and he started smiling with a big grin. “I said all of those great things to you and all you have to say is I'm not half bad.” “Ace, on a serious note. You are funny, kind, sweet, thoughtful. And I hope to learn more about you too.” “Thanks, you're not half bad yourself.” We both started laughing. After many of rides, games, walking on the beach at sunset and all kinds of fun stuff, it was time to go home. I was so sad that this amazing day had to end. We get to the car and he opens the door for me. “Man, it's getting a little cold don’t you think?” “Here, I have a jacket in my trunk do you want it?” “Sure but I hope you know that you’re never ever getting this jacket back. Formally Hayden Miller’s jacket. Now property of Brooklyn “Ace” Walker. I’m going to write that on the tag.” He started laughing and smiling. That damn smile it’s so adorable. Maybe I do have feelings for him?

Another amazing day. We pull into my driveway. He says the same thing as he did when we got to the pier. “Hold on stay there.” “Not this again Hayden.” This time I really want to remember the way you look.” “I’m opening the door Hayden.” “Fine, but just let me walk you to the door.” “My parents are home.” “I don’t care.” He says it like he's going to barge into my front door a second “They don’t need to know right now, ok?” “Ok, but we are definitely hanging out tomorrow.” “Deal. Thank you for such an amazing day.” I gave him a hug and we just hugged for a good long minute.” “I’ll see you tomorrow.” “Goodnight Ace.” “Goodnight, Hayden.”

Here’s the thing about my parents. They’re strict but lenient. I walk into the house and they don’t say anything till I got to the stairs. “Brooklyn is that you?” “Yeah, mom it’s me.” “Well come here and tell us about your day.” “Oh boy here it goes.” I said under my breath, so they didn't hear me.” “Coming.” “So who were you with? It looked like Noah, was it Noah? “Yeah, it was Noah.” My phone started vibrating. It was Hayden. “Excuse me, I have to take this.” “You are excused.”

“Hey, thank goodness, you saved me.” “And exactly what am I saving you from?” “My mother and her 50 questions about where I was at.” “Where did she think you were?” “Well for starters she thinks that I was hanging out with Noah. I know I shouldn’t lie, but with my past, which I promise I will tell you soon when I am ready. I just want to spend more time just us.” “I completely agree. With that said, I'll come to pick you up and we’ll get stuff to make food and we’ll watch movies. What kind of movies do you like?” “Well, I like romantic comedies and regular comedies. I can sit through horror movies but I don’t like them.” “Okay, so one romantic comedy, one regular comedy, and one horror movie.” “Sounds good to me. But do you really want to sit through a romantic comedy? Usually, guys don’t go for those types of movies.” “For you, anything.” “That’s sweet but I don’t want to torture you.” “You won’t, I promise, does 4 pm sound good?” “Can’t wait.” “Goodnight Ace.” “Night Hayden, sweet dreams.” I hung up the phone. I fell asleep with the biggest smile on my face. That had to be the best call of my entire life. I think now I am developing feelings for this guy. God dammit.

The next day I was blooming with happiness until four, why did he make it so late? I want to see him now… ugh.  At 4 pm on the dot, I get a text saying “In your driveway, come on out.” I grab everything I need and head out the door and into his car. “Hey, stranger.” “Hey, Ace, ready to go.” “Yup, where’s our first stop?” “Sunshine Market, then to Vons, then some driving around.” “Well let’s get the pedal to the metal and get this show on the road.” He starts laughing at me. “Why are you laughing.” Then I start laughing. “You’re just so adorable.” “Aww thank you, you are too.” We go to the store and we get mac n cheese, hamburgers, sparkling apple cider and for dessert, brownies and chocolate cake. Also some chips, cookies, and popcorn for during the movie.“This is my dream meal. ”You really know me well Hayden.” “Well I am a really good listener, that’s another good quality about me.” “Yes, it is.” We pull into his driveway and walked into his front door. I look up and see a beautiful chandelier. “Oh my gosh, this chandelier is beautiful.” “Thanks, it has been passed down in my family for generations.” “Well, it’s very pretty.” The next minute two dogs come running up to us excited as can be. I am completely over the moon with happiness with these dogs. “These puppies are so cuteeee!!!, What kind are they?” “Well that one is Daisy and she is a White Samoyed puppy, and the other one is named Lulu and she is a White Pomeranian puppy. “Well they are so adorable, and if Lulu goes missing, don’t check my house.” We both laughed. “Well Ace, wanna help me with dinner?” “Do you want this beautiful house to be in flames if I get near this stove.” “I’ll help you, don’t worry this beautiful house will stay intact.” “Ok, but don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

We started cooking and dancing and listening to music. “Tell me about your family.” I said while sitting on top of the island. “Well, there’s obviously me.” “Well, that’s a little important.” “My parents. Then I have a little brother named Caleb and he’s 6 years old. Absolutely adorable by the way. Then I have 2 sisters, one is named Corrina and she’s 13. The complete opposite of Caleb, pain in my butt if you ask me. Complete rebel, it’s her teenage phase. And lastly, my baby sister Hannah and she’s 3, so happy and full of energy. What about you?” “I have a brother that is 8 and a sister who’s 5 and I absolutely adore them. Their names are Elijah and Lily. But anyways how did you get your entire family out of the house at once.” “Well, it’s pretty interesting. My parents have a conference in Michigan, Caleb has a basketball team sleepover before the big game tomorrow, which I highly recommend we go to by the way. I kind of told my little brother and sisters about you and they are dying to meet you, I know you wanted this secrecy thing with just the two of us but it just slipped out. Please don’t be mad.” “When will there ever be a time where I am mad at you? And what about your sisters?” “Baby is with the rents and I had to bribe Corrina to leave.” “What did you bribe her with I might ask?” “3 free passes to drive her wherever she wants and ice cream, and also 20 bucks.” “Man, that girl is one great negotiator. She seems like fun.” “She’s a trip and a half that girl.” The buzzer beeps for the mac n cheese to be done. “Man, I am starving.” I said with a stomach deprived of food. “Then let’s eat.” We take our food downstairs where the big tv is and we set up everything. “Hey I forgot the glasses for the cider, I'll be right back. Will you be ok until I get back?” He said while laughing. “Yes, Hayden I think it'll be fine in this big beautiful basement.” I said sarcastically. He comes back down with this beautiful glass flutes and poured some cider. We had a great time, watching movies, me getting scared during the horror movie which I told him that I would get scared and he would have to protect me, which he did and he put his arms around me. He drove me home and I was so happy. He makes me the happiest person in the entire world. When I get home, I get a call from Hayden. “Well hello kind gentlemen, how can I help you this fine evening.” I could tell he was smiling through the phone. “Well Ace, I need your help with something in a couple months, it's in October and in a different state. Also, all expenses are paid for through me ” “What is it, if it’s anything dangerous or scary, I'm out.” “Well it’s nothing dangerous or scary, my cousin is having a wedding and my parents told me I could bring a friend, so I decided to bring you.” “Me, you want to bring me to me to a family event??” “You seem nervous, are you nervous?” “Uhhh I'm a little bit nervous, can you tell?” “Just a little, but, it’ll be ok, ok?” “Ok I'll talk to my parents because it’s out of the state so, but it’ll be fun, but where are we going?” “Wisconsin!!” “This is exciting!! I’ll talk to my parents now and I'll talk to you later!” I said excitedly. “I’m glad you’re so happy.” “Thank you for making me so happy. I’ll talk to you later.” “Bye Ace” I hang up the phone and press it up against my chest. “Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!” I go downstairs to talk to my parents and finally tell them who Hayden is and I'm pretty nervous but I think it’ll go fine. “Hey mom and dad, can I talk to you about something?” “Yeah, sweetie?” Mom said patting the seat next to her. “What’s on your mind, honey?” Dad said looking concerned. “Well a couple months ago I met this boy, his name is Hayden Miller. That’s who you saw me with that night, not Noah. I wasn’t ready to tell you everything until I felt comfortable and I knew things were going well with Hayden and we’ve been talking and hanging out for about a couple months now, and I really like him. What I’m getting at is, he invited me to go with him to his cousin's wedding in Wisconsin and all expenses are paid for through him, so what do you think?” Both of my parents are sitting there they were both looking at each other, thinking of who’s going to talk first. “Honey that’s great that you met someone that sounds like he’s a very important part of your life.” Mom said concerned. “There’s going to be a but, there’s always a but.” “There is no buts this time. Only if we meet him and his parents before we make a decision.” Mom said very concerningly.  I started to get the biggest smile on my face. “All we’ve ever wanted for you is to be happy, and it seems like you are happy with this Hayden guy.” Dad said with a straight face. “Thank you thank you so much!” I hugged both of my parents and squealed up the stairs. But on the other side of town, a different household was a whole different story. “How dare you invite a girl to your beloved cousin’s wedding, I meant to bring one of your buddies, not a girl.” Hayden’s father started screaming at him. “Well you said bring a friend and I did, she just happens to be a girl.” “Your mother and I will discuss this with you later, I am very disappointed in your son.” His father stormed out of the room. His father believes that you should start dating after high school. But Hayden believes the opposite. Now there is tension rising in this family and it’s all my fault.

Chapter Two.

Tension rising. Tension is in the Miller family household the next morning and Hayden didn’t know how to handle it, but he tries his hardest, and it doesn’t help. He gets down the stairs and into the kitchen for breakfast and his father completely ignores him. “Dad, I just want to tell you that you don’t have to be angry with me.” “Oh really, why is that Hayden? Is it because you completely disobeyed me with the no dating rule.” “Dad, we aren’t dating, we are just really good friends.” But he didn’t want to tell his dad the truth so he kept the liking her a lot part in the back of his mind. “Oh, if she’s just a close friend, then why haven’t we met her?” “That’s a long story saved for another time. So can she come with us?” “Sure, just no funny business on the trip, got it?” “Got it, dad. By any chance, do you know where mom is?” “Yeah, she’s upstairs with Hannah.” Hayden went upstairs and knocked on his parents bedroom door. “Knock, knock, knock. Hey mom, are you in here?” “Yeah sweetie, just give me a minute.” She opened the door to her loving son that was looking for advice. “Did dad tell you about what I told him last night?” “No he didn’t, what did you tell him?” “I invited a girl that I really like to Savannah’s wedding in October.” “I bet he was pissed.” “Oh very pissed. But then I told him that the girl I invited, we aren’t dating, we are just close friends. Which all of that is true. But I want there to be more than that.” “Have you told any of this to this girl?” “Brooklyn and no I didn’t yet, there hasn’t been a good time.” “Well, sweetie if you want to be anything more than friends with her you need to tell her. Soon. I have an idea, how about you invite her and her family, and we have one big meal and we’ll talk about the trip and hammer out the details. And at the end of the night you can take her to that park you like a lot when you were a kid and tell her how you feel.” She said with a wink. “That sounds perfect, I'll text her and tell her. Thank you so much.” He hugs his mom and stands up to leave she says something. “Don’t worry about your father, I'll handle him. Also, this Brooklyn girl seems really special.” “She really is, and you’ll love her.” He leaves the room and texts me the plan. I’m so stoked. I told my parents and siblings all about Hayden and his house and everything. Next Saturday rolls around and I curl my hair, put on a cute flowery dress. Then my next problem occurred. How am I going to get Elijah and Lily dressed properly? I took a deep breath and a deep look into both of their closets, and I found the perfect outfits. About 2 and a half hours later, we finally show up at his house, with my crazy beloved family. We walk in, his parents greeted us with a loving pleasure. We end dinner, his mom suggested something. “How about you too go to the park down the street, the sky is always so beautiful this time of night, and us parents will talk Idaho details.” We start leaving and I say to his mother. “Everything was so delicious and wonderful Mrs. Miller, thank you for having us.” Hayden grabs my hand and whisks me away. We walked down to the park by the time we get down the sun is almost setting and the moon is about to come up. His mom was right, it was a beautiful night. We get to the park and he takes me up to the top by the slide, our feet were hanging, everything was perfect. He finally said something, but it wasn’t what I expected at all. “Ace, can I talk to you about something?” He seemed pretty nervous, his hands were getting pretty clammy, so I grabbed his hands. His voice was getting high pitched and by him getting nervous caused me to get nervous. “Hayden you’re scaring me.” “I like spending time with you and with that spending time with you we’ve both gotten to know each other very well. We have so much in common. I don’t ever want to lose you, ever. If anyone ever tries to hurt you in anyway, I wouldn’t know what I would do with myself. I want to be in your life. But I want to be in your life as more of a friend. I want to be your boyfriend. I want to make you feel safe and protected, and loved. I want to be your person, which I think you are to me.” “Hayden, I think it’s finally time that you hear about my last relationship. His name is Tristan…” After I told him the story he was in shock for a little and confused at the most part. “Let me just say that I have a lot of baggage with me from my past relationship and I don’t want that to affect us now and what you think about me in particular. I want to be with you Hayden. I want you to make me feel safe, protected and loved. Everyday with you feels like an adventure. I just wanted to tell you about my past but I don’t want you to feel that I'm not ready for this because I am. I am all in. I am ready to be in a relationship. I’m ready to be your girlfriend.” “I don’t care about your past relationship, I just want you now. No matter what.” “How did I get so lucky with a guy like you?” “You’re asking me? I think I am the lucky one.” “Let’s just agree that we are both lucky.” “Agreed.” I put my head on his shoulder and he put his arms around me. “Hey Ace, can i be honest with you? This is the happiest I've ever been in a while.” “Ditto” That night it felt like just the two of us in our own little world. We told our parents that we were official and Hayden’s brother had the cutest reaction. He said “Well it’s about time you guys started dating.” We were the happiest people on planet earth. Hayden comes and picks me up and we spend the day together till like 1 am. I’m actually sad that summer is almost over and school is starting but Avery and Scarlett are coming back from cheerleading camp. They haven’t had their phones for about 2 weeks now. Noah, poor Noah. We haven’t talked to each other in a while, our schedules haven’t been free, but this weekend I'll tell them about Hayden. Finally everything will be out in the open, I am so excited. The reason why I am so happy about telling my best friends is this. After Tristan, I never thought I would never find anyone that would fully accept me and my past. When I met Hayden, I felt safe and protected like I found something to fill my emptiness and that void. I walked up to Noah’s house ring the doorbell, Scarlett and Avery were already there so that made me feel alright. I walk in and sit down on the couch with my hands folded and my head looking towards the ground. “So guys, I have something to tell you.” I said all quiet and nervous. “Well you seem really nervous, so spit it out.” Avery said all suspicious. “Well first off, Hayden called me and asked me to his cousin’s wedding and I said yes but I thought it was as friends. And then, my family and I went to his house and he told me all of this amazing stuff and now I have a boyfriend.” It felt good to get all of this stuff off of my chest. They had a moment of silence. Then they started to freak out. “OMG I CAN’T BELIEVE THAT YOU GUYS ARE DATING!!!!” “It’s about damn time the chemistry was totally there.” “I can’t believe how cool you guys are being about this. Aren’t you guys nervous that he’s going to end up like Tristan?” “Brook, listen to me.” Noah continued. “I’ve known Hayden for a long time, he doesn’t have a bad bone in his body, he wouldn’t even hurt a fly. Do you trust him? If you do, you have nothing to worry about. Trust is the number one thing in a relationship, also honesty and jealousy. If you have complete honesty and trust and not being jealous, I think there is nothing you should be worried about.” I started tearing up. “Awe babe, don’t tear up.” Scarlett said giving me a hug. “I’m just so lucky to have you amazing friends and boyfriend in my life, I guess I'm a little emotional these days.” “A little, girl you’re ALWAYS emotional.” We all start bursting out laughing. A couple days we were lounging on the hammock in his backyard. “My friends were asking about you.” Hayden said blushing. “And what did you tell them? All good things I hope.” “I told them that they’ll have to wait to see the real deal.” “When will that be??” “Tonight.” “Tonight, I look like a mess, I'm gonna have to go home and change and look a lot nicer.” He laughed and kissed my forehead. I get up and walk to the gate. “I’m serious, this is a BIG deal to you. I gotta go, can I by any chance take your car, I’ll bring it back when I come at…..” “They’re coming at 7:30 but the honoree guest which is you is coming at 7.” I kissed his cheek. He throws me his keys. “Thank you so much, I promise I'll return it in one piece.” I turned to him and he gives me a wave and I wave back. Then I get back home and walk back through the gate. “How do I have to dress for this? I don’t want to overdress for this occasion.” “Just dress beautiful, which won’t be too hard for you.” He winked, I blushed. “But seriously how do I dress for this.” “Jean shorts and a top.” “Thanks, I'll see you later.” I blew him a kiss and he caught it. I left after that. I get home and stare at my closet. 5:30, an hour and a half till I have to be there. Look at my closet some more. 5:40. Okay, picking out an outfit shouldn’t be too hard. I have the jean shorts picked out, now the shirt. I have this baby blue criss-cross shirt. No. I got it, I can’t believe that I didn’t think about this before. The black flower tank top with buttons going down it. Perfect, Hayden will love it. I go into the bathroom and put some beachy waves curls in my hair, do my makeup, grab my purse. As soon as I go down the steps, my dad stops me. “Crap, so close to getting out.” I whispered to myself. “Dumpling, where are you going?” “I am going to hang out with Hayden and some friends. Is that a problem?” “No, just be safe. Is Hayden bringing you home?” “Yeah, is there a specific time that I have to be home?” “No, but not too late, and if you do come, be quiet, your mom and I will be asleep.” “Ok, thank you. I’ll text when I am coming home.” I left the house and took Hayden’s car back to his house. I knock on the door and he answers. He gives me a hug and a kiss on the forehead. “Hey babe, am I here too early?” “For you, never, dang someone looks good tonight.” “Oo, someone’s being extra flirty tonight.” He didn’t say anything, he just blushed and kissed my cheek. Then he grabbed my hand and took me downstairs. I get downstairs and I see three boys sitting around the tv talking to each other. The one on the right is Liam. Tall, blonde hair, blue eyes. Really nice guy. The one in the middle is Todd. He has brown shaggy hair, brown eyes. He is a player and gets almost all of the girls. The last one and the one on the left is Ethan. He has brown hair as well, but he has really pretty blue eyes. Really skinny, funny. “Hey guys this is the girl I've been talking about, Ace, this is Liam, Todd, and Ethan.” “Ace, is that what he just called you?” Todd said all confused. Then we all sat on the couch. “Yeah, that’s the nickname he gave me.” “Can I call you Ace?” “Umm, how about no, but you can call me something else.” “How about Brook.” Hayden and I look at each other and burst out laughing. “Did we miss something?” Ethan said. “No it’s this inside joke between us.” Hayden said when he stopped laughing. “I got an idea, why don’t we play cards against humanity. Todd said.   Remember guys, it’s been a tradition with us every time we get a new group member. But if they don’t have funny cards, they’re out of the group. But since you’re Hayden’s girl, we’ll make an exception.” Todd said, then he got up and grabbed the cards. “Oo Hayden’s girl, I like the sound of that.” I said kissing Hayden’s cheek. “But I don’t want to make you guys go easy on me.” “What? None of his previous girls would have ever said that.” They all were very confused. “Guys.” Hayden whispered so he didn’t feel embarrassed. “Well I'm not one of his previous girls, I'm different.” “Well then let us play” All three of the guys said. We are all centered around the coffee table. The first card was “In the distant future, historians agree that ____________. Marked the beginning of America's decline.” My white card that I used was Deez Nuts. “Well played you guys.” Todd continued. “But I have to give it to the newcomer, Ms. Brooklyn Walker. Well played, Walker. That’s going to be your nickname.” We played some more rounds of the game. Watched a couple movies. Laughed, had a really good time. “Well guys it’s been fun but I have to talk ma lady home, I'll be back in like a half an hour.” “Yeah ok see you tomorrow buddy.” Ethan said hinting at something that at the time didn’t understand. But then it clicked. They thought he was going to spend the night. “Guys, I'll be back in 30 minutes 40 tops, I'll bring home food.” “Okay we’ll see you later. Bye Walker.” We get into the car and we are driving and things seem awfully quiet for the two of us. I grab his hand. “Babe, is everything ok?” “Yeah everything’s ok, I was just thinking.” “Anything I can help you with?” “Nope, just thinking about random things. If it was anything important, I promise I would tell you.” I kiss his hand. We get up to my driveway. He parks the car, we get out. He walks me to the front door, I lead him to the porch swing that’s “Hayden you know you’re amazing right. There is no one I'd rather be within this time in my life. But you chose me. And I chose you. You are the one that completes me, makes me feel like I have worth in this world. You are so genuine, kind-hearted, amazing, funny, and every positive thing there is. I can be myself when I'm around you, and that’s hard for me to do with some people. What I'm trying to get at is, I love you with everything in me and I will never stop loving you under any condition.” He didn't say anything which got me a little nervous but he put his hands around my waist and pulled me into his body and our lips finally touched for the first time. I put my hands on his cheeks. His lips felt soft, liked I've felt this before. We pulled away from each other and we looked into each others eyes and he said these amazing five words. “Ace, I love you too. I’ve loved you ever since I laid my eyes on you.” I pulled him in for another kiss. This one was even more magical than the first one. After we pull away, I put my head on his chest, and we just looked at the stars. We just wanted to be with each other. I really didn’t want him to leave. “Please don’t leave, I don’t want you to go. Because if you go this night will be over and I don’t want this night to be over.” I grabbed his arm and didn’t let go.” “Babe, I gotta go. I’ll pick you up tomorrow and we’ll go get lunch or something.” “Okay, sounds good. I love you.” “I love you too Ace.” He kisses me goodnight. This has been the best day of my entire life. The next morning, I wake up with the biggest smile on my face and I roll over to check my phone. His name popped up on my phone and I had the biggest smile in the entire universe. His name was the the first name. “Good morning to my beautiful girlfriend.” I texted him back. “Good morning my handsome boyfriend.” “I swear I think I am the luckiest girl on planet earth.” I said to him with the biggest blushing smile on my face. “And why is that Ace?” “Because I have you as a boyfriend.” “And I am so lucky.” “Do you know we sound so cringe right now haha.” “Yes but cringe is good, it gives you a sense of purpose that we make every guy want to be me and every girl you.” “Trust me, no one wants to be me.” He facetime me. “You’ve got to be kidding me.” “What did I say?” “You’re gorgeous. And you are with an amazing person that loves you when you have a pound of makeup and when you are beautiful first thing in the morning.” I love you babe, when are we hanging out tomorrow,” “I don’t know i might be hanging with the guys. Todd has this new girl that he wants us to meet.” “Why don’t you bring me along so she’s not the only girl there.” “I don’t think she’s really your type babe.” “Everyone’s my type. I’ll impress the pants off of her.” “I’ll text the guys and I'll let you know.” “Talk to later?” “Yeah.” “Everything okay?” “Everything’s great I just don’t think you should meet this girl.” “Why is she an ex-girlfriend or something?” Actually yes she is.” “See if I don’t go she’s just going to think I'm scared to meet one of your ex’s. What’s her name?” “ Morgan Price.” “You dated that girl. When? How long?” “Ace, you’re getting into crazy girlfriend mode.” “No I'm not. I’m just curious. Come on, are you being chicken, Hayden?” “Fine, we dated summer before freshman year until about middle of freshman year. So like 9 months. She was my last long term relationship before you of course.” “Ok” “You’re being a lot cooler than I expected, is everything ok?” “Everything’s fine. Now we have everything off our chests about our last’s relationships.” All I want is honesty from you.” “Same here. I’ll talk to the guys and I will let you know a little later.” “Ok, love you, talk to you later.” “Love you too.” We both said bye and hung up the phone and Hayden went to call Todd. “Hey dude. Brooklyn is coming over to meet Morgan.” “Okay, it’ll be good for our girlfriends to meet.” “Yeah good for you but pretty shitty for me.” “Oh yeah you dated Morgan. Totally forgot man. Is it okay that I date her because she’s super hot.” “Yeah, it’s totally okay because I'm totally over her. But Todd don’t you like Morgan for more than just that she’s hot.” “Well we just started dating and I don’t really know much about her, except that she’s hot.” “Well Todd I'm happy for you, I'll see you tomorrow.” He hangs up the phone. It’s the next day. I met up with Hayden, Todd, Liam, Ethan, and Morgan. I’m actually excited but nervous to meet Morgan. But anyone that is dating Todd, he’s either only attracted to her, or she’s really sweet but an airhead. But i got exactly what i expected. I walk into Hayden’s house and here’s this average height, brown-haired, she seems like a nice girl but I'm wrong. I walk up to her and put out my arm for a handshake. “Hi I'm Brooklyn you must be Morgan, it’s so nice to meet you.” She completely ignores me and she goes on talking to Todd and Liam. Okay that was a little rude, but maybe she didn’t hear me. Hayden puts his arm around me “It’s ok maybe she just didn’t hear you.” “Yeah you’re right.” We hang out, laugh, play a couple games. “Hey Brooklyn.” She gestures toward me where I am very confused. Todd puts his arm around her. “Yeah, what’s up?” “Do you smoke?” “No and I don’t ever plan on smoking, ever.” “Well I think you should try it, it’ll help you loosen your uptight attitude.” “Excuse me, you did not just say that to me.” “Someone had to tell you.” Hayden interrupts me before i want to beat the living crap out of this girl. Hayden stands up. “Morgan, if you come into my house and disrespect my girlfriend like that, you are going to have to leave.” “Fine, I didn’t even want to come here anyway.” Morgan stands up and gets ready to leave. “Todd, are you coming with me?” “Yeah I'm coming.” They both go up the stairs, walk out the door and as the car pulls away I turned to Hayden and said. “Hey babe, I think I'm gonna get my uptight attitude and go home. I stand up run my hand through his hair and give him a kiss. “You sure, you want me to walk you out?” “No I'm okay, thanks. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” I walk out of his house, put my key in ignition, and pulled away. I didn’t want Hayden to see that I was upset about the whole situation, but he was one step ahead of me. I pulled into my driveway and there’s a voicemail from Hayden on my phone. It read… “Hey Ace, it’s me your boo. I saw something tonight that didn’t make me happy. The fact that you weren’t happy. Trust me, if she wasn’t a girl, I would have totally kicked her ass. And you probably know this but you’re a pretty amazing girl in my eyes. Hilarious, gorgeous, and amazing in every way. I love you and sweet dreams beautiful.” I texted him. “Thank you baby.” “You’re welcome, I love you and I'll always to be there for you and stand up for you.” I go in the house, go to sleep. I wake up to my phone blowing up from texts from Noah, Avery, and Scarlett. Oh my goodness I totally forgot that today is the day. Awe shit. I look at my phone and it's blowing up. I need to meet them in 25 minutes at brunch, I can't believe I forgot. They’re going to kill me. I get ready in like 10 minutes, mom and dad are sleeping so I left them a note. I get into Hayden’s car that he let me borrow and took off. I get to the restaurant with 5 minutes left and I have no idea how I did that but luckily, they were outside the place so I wasn’t too worried that they would be mad. “Hey guys so sorry I'm a little late, my alarm didn’t go off.” I said that lie with my stomach having knots in it. I never lie, it is a very rare occasion where I bend the truth. But in this instant, it was better for our friendship if right now I lied. Anyways we are about halfway through brunch and my phone lights up with a text message. It was from Hayden, it was something pointless like good morning gorgeous or something like that. When I looked up from my phone Scarlett had the most disgusted look on her face. So I turn to her and I said very nicely. “Do you have a problem with me looking at my phone to see who texted me.” and the next thing she did was despicable. “Can we have one conversation where you’re not on your phone talking to your boyfriend!” I couldn’t believe she just said that to me, that’s where I get furious because I was not about to sit here and take this. “Listen, we were having a nice conversation right? I looked at my phone once to see who texted me when you were practically on your phone the whole time. So next time you think about saying something to me, think about the facts first before you open your mouth. As I get up to leave, I’m waiting for an apology but I'm clearly waiting for nothing. I stand up, grab my bill and leave. “I can’t believe what you just said to her you’re so inconsiderate. She did absolutely nothing to you. She is your best friend ugh.” Noah said with fury. He always did that. Whenever someone was mean to me or said something about me, he would always stand up for me. Noah is a really good friend. But this time Noah had something different on his mind. I’m standing outside finding my keys in my purse when Noah comes out holding the keys in his hands “Looking for these.” “Thank god you’re my hero.” I go and hug him. “Sit down, we need to talk.” Oh no a million different things were running around in my mind and I can’t wrap my head around what he could be thinking, so I sit down and let him talk. Noah starts talking and it’s not what I ever expected him to say. “You know I love you, like a best friend and we are each other’s family. Scarlett and Avery aren’t as close to you as I am. I know when you're happy, I know when you're confused.I know when you’re sad. But right now at this point in time, I don’t know anything you are feeling. Because ever since Hayden came along, which I am super happy don't get me wrong  that you are with him and you found someone who makes who truly happy. But what I don't want is for you to lose connection with me or any of your friends because we are here when Hayden isn’t. We were here before Hayden and we’ll be here when he’s not. We love and support you, we just want to be a part of your life that’s all. I just feel like Hayden has your undivided attention and I just don’t want you to lose your best friends over a guy. What I think that Scarlett was trying to say was…” I couldn’t listen to him talk about Scarlett any longer. “Don’t defend Scarlett. I didn’t do anything wrong. For everything else you said, you’re right. I haven't been hanging out with you guys as much but I have a reason. This is all new to Hayden and I so we want to explore our relationship and see what’s new for us and I am sorry that I've been so distant. I think that this little break we had was good, you know. We’ve been friends for over 10 years. Now we know what our lives are like apart. And I don’t like being apart. Avery, Scarlett and Hayden don’t understand me like you do. You were the one that was there for me when the whole Tristan thing. I don’t think that you understand how much that meant to me. It meant so much to me because no one understood or cared for me as much as you did. You were with me everyday until I was feeling better Tears started to roll my face. He wipes my tears and our heads touch, then we both start crying. A couple seconds my phone starts ringing. It’s Hayden. “I’m sorry, I gotta take this.” I walk away wiping my tears and get into my car not knowing where it’ll take me.

Chapter Three.

When Hayden called me I didn't expect this to happen, his grandmother had a heart attack. Someone who means so much to him has now gone through so much suffering. I have to be there for him, or I don’t know who will be. I get up to the front desk and ask for Francesca Miller’s room number. Hayden told me a lot about her. All the stories she told, how amazing she is. He told me that she wanted to meet and I quote “The amazing girl that has made her grandson a very happy man.” I’m honored that I have that title and she thinks so highly of me. I get up to the fifth-floor lobby and there he is. I’ve never seen him so down. I go up to him and give him a kiss on the cheek and a hug. “Hey, I know everything seems so scary right now but I promise you that everything is going to be okay. Your grandma is a fighter.” He gives me the biggest hug and whispers something into my ear. “You know you are the greatest girlfriend ever?” I whispered back. “I’m pretty sure that I'm not the greatest.” He lets go of the hug and takes my hand. “Do you want to go meet her?” “Are you sure she’s in the right state of mind for visitors?” “Totally I told her you were coming up and she had the biggest grin on her face.” I take his hand and we go and knock on the hospital room door. We walk in and try not to be loud. “Hey grandma, how are you doing?” Hayden said in a calm voice. “I’m doing quite alright, and who is this gorgeous lady standing next to you?” “Grandma, I'd like you to meet my girlfriend. Brooklyn this is my grandma Francesca.” I go out to shake her and she gives me the biggest hug.” We visit with her for a while then Hayden has to take me home. We were walking out of the hospital and Todd comes walking up to us and he looks a little worried in his eyes. “Hey, Hayden I know that your grandma is here and you’re going through a lot right now and you told me you’d be here but I need someone to talk to.” We go down the elevator and walk outside to the bench to talk. “What’s up Todd, you’re freaking me out.” “I was hanging out with Morgan about a couple weeks ago and we ended up just making out for a while and I wanted to go a little further but she didn't want to and then a day later she just broke up with me. Then I find out that she cheated on me with David Campbell. I knew that you were dealing with everything with your grandma and I didn’t want to bother you.” “Todd,” He said in the most caring way. “I will always be here for you, no matter where I am, I am always just a phone call away. That also goes for you Ace.” I put my head on his shoulder and kiss his cheek. “Well, how did you get here Todd?” I asked him. “I was so lost after I found out that I started walking and next thing I knew I was here.” “Well I'm about to head out, do you want me to take you home?” “Yeah, that’d be great. Thank you so much.” “No problem, you look like you haven’t eaten in days, do you want to get some food?” His face lit up like I just handed him a 50 dollar bill. “So is that a yes?” He shook his head. “Well let’s get going then. Bye baby, I'll call you later.” I kiss him and give him a hug. Todd and I walked to my car and got in and started to drive. “You know Hayden can’t shut up about you, he really cares about you and will do anything for you.” I start to blush. “Oh really now?” “Yeah, you are his favorite person and that’s coming from his best friend since kindergarten.” He has been the person I have waiting for a long time. I was thinking in my head.

I’ve always dreaded going back to school. The fact that we have to be forced to be sitting in classrooms, listening to teachers teach and them telling you to take notes and be tested on it boggles my mind. But now at least I get to spend this school year with my best friends. I have lunch and two study halls with Hayden, Noah, and Avery. I am still not talking to Scarlett since that whole situation happened last month. It is about 5:25 and my alarm clock just woke me up so I roll over to check my phone and I get a text from Hayden saying: “Hey babe, good morning!! I will be there at 6:20 to pick you up and go to breakfast before we start the first day of the rest of our lives!! SENIOR YEAR BABY!! WHOO!!”I love my crazy weirdo boyfriend. I get up out of bed, get into the shower and then start getting ready. I play some music so the quietness of my house doesn’t drive me crazy. I already had my outfit picked out the night before. A yellow cold shoulder top, a black jean skirt, and flats. It is about 6:17 when I get a phone call. I didn’t really expect much I just thought it was Hayden. I pick up the phone and say something. “Good Morning handsome.” “Wow, how sweet of you to call me handsome.” A very familiar voice said on the other line. I gasp in fear. Right now I’m calm enough to say something. “Tristan, I never thought I’d see the day you would mosey your pathetic butt back into my life.” “Well, baby it’s finally here.” “Awe so soon I thought it would be another 10 to 20 years before I saw you again because you’d be in prison.” “Ouch, that one hurt.” “Sorry, did my back hurt your knife, why are you calling?” “I heard you got a boyfriend.” “Yeah, so that’s none of your business.” “Well I just wanted to let you know your so-called friend Scarlett told me and I’m here to warn you that the next time I see him I'm going to kick his ass.” “Bye Tristan.” I finally hung up the phone then shed a couple of tears and headed out the door. I get into Hayden’s car about 5 minutes later. “Good morning, I got something to tell you but I need you to not freak out. Right before you came to get me, Tristan called. He just asked if I had a boyfriend then I hung up because I was done with him.” “Well if he didn’t say anything threatening then that’s good, but if he comes near you, he’ll have to deal with me.” “Okay, babe,” I said in a shaky voice and look at my shoes. “Hey hey hey, everything is going to be okay. I got you. We don’t need that bastard in our lives.” “Thank you so much.” I pick up his hand and cross our fingers. “This is it. This is all I need. Well, I need some food but after that then it’s you.” “I feel offended that food is above me.” “Well if you get me some food then you’ll be my favorite.” He puts the car immediately in drive and I pull out of the driveway. I laugh and he gives me the biggest smile. We get to breakfast and while we are eating my phone keeps on buzzing. I have a feeling it could be Tristan but I just ignore it and put my phone on the seat. I don’t want Hayden to worry about me. This isn’t his battle to fight. Tristan is my problem. We pull into the high school parking lot. A place that I have dreaded coming back to for three months. “You ready to take on this year?” Hayden looked at me and said. I didn’t look at him, I kind of just looked straight ahead at the school. “Let’s just get this year over with,” I said with a pretty straight face. “You really just want to get your senior year “over with.” I thought about what I said to him and I changed my words. “Let’s do this.”

I walk into Marybelle High School like nothing ever happened. Tristan didn’t treat me the way that he did, I still have all of my friends, no drama with that. Sometimes I wish that everything would go back to normal but then I wouldn’t be the person I am right now, now would I? Hayden and I walk into the high school hand and hand. No one stops us, it’s like nothing ever happened, so I thought. Liam comes up to Hayden all mad and I immediately think that it could be because I've been taking one of his best friends away from him. “Hayden, can we talk in private.” “Whatever you can say in front of me you can say in front of Brooklyn.” “Fine, I think that you have been spending too much time with her and not a lot of time with your boys.” Hayden looks at me, then back at Liam and then at me. “Well I'm sorry, she’s my girlfriend and there have been other things going on in my life than just her so I suggest you just shut your mouth before you continue this conversation anymore.” He grabs my hand and walks away from Liam.

The typical first day of high school: Go to your classes, make sure you have friends in the class, definitely make sure you have friends at lunch, lastly actually like your teachers. I have some classes with Hayden and some with Noah and Avery which I am actually happy about so I can reconnect with them. I’m just so excited for this year and what it has in store. A month later, school and everything is going well until something really bizarre happened. I’m at my locker and out of nowhere Liam and Todd come up to me and start talking to me. “Hey, beautiful” Todd said in his flirting voice. Every once in a while Todd pretends to flirt with me so I just assume that this was one of those times. But now I know that this wasn’t the case. He starts to pull down my jean jacket and softly rubbing his hand on my shoulder then down to my waist. “Todd, stop,” I said sternly so maybe he would stop. I slam my locker and walk away to go meet up with Hayden before 7th period. “Hey, Ace.” He said when I get next to him. “Hey,” I said looking at my shoes. “What’s wrong?” “Oh, it’s nothing.” “Come on, I find the little things the cutest, what is it?” “Umm..” I take him to this little corner in the hallway so not everyone hears me tell him and he doesn’t make a big scene about it. “Well, I was at my locker…” I finish telling him the story and he looking at me with a mad but disappointed face. “So you did nothing to make him do this?” Hayden said really concerning. “No, why would I do something like that.” “Well you’re a really attractive girl and maybe you did something to trigger him to do this, this doesn’t sound like him.” “So you think this is my fault because I am a quote on quote attractive girl so it would be my fault and not his for what he did.” “No that’s not what I meant.” “Then what do you mean, I’d really love to hear this one.” “Uh…. Uh…” “That’s what I thought.” I walk away with a pit of rage and don’t turn around. If he wants to apologize he can.

It’s been a couple days since Hayden and I’s fight. I hate being mad at him but he needs to learn what he said was wrong. It’s Saturday, Hayden and I normally hang out on Saturday’s but I can probably text Noah and Avery and see if they want to hang out. I get up and grab my phone to text them and I see multiple texts from Hayden. “Hello??” “Why aren’t you responding??” and one voicemail that made me have butterflies in my stomach. It says “Hey Ace, it’s me. I just want to know that I love you and I hope you can forgive me.” I just need more time to think about this. But luckily I'm hanging out with my besties today so everything will be fine. I will get my mind off of him for today and maybe talk to him tomorrow after a good night sleep.

I’m sitting on the couch with Noah and Avery when we hear a knock on the door. I’m opening the door when I see his face. Hayden. He doesn’t look too good. It looks like he’s been out all night. “Hey, Ace.” “Hayden, you don’t look so good, what happened??” “I’ve kind of been out all night.” Well look at that, I was right. “Why did you do that.” “Just needed some time to think about everything and what I think is…” I stop him and hug him. “I’m so sorry. I should have never acted like that. I should have known that you would never do something like that.” He said and I felt a tear from his eye. “I hated you being mad at me because you are my best friend.” He continued to talk. “Uh, guys I hate to break up whatever is happening right now but Brooklyn you need to see this,” Noah said all scared. “What is it, Noah?” “I want you to come to the window and see for yourself.” I walk over to the window and my mouth drops. “I can’t believe he has the audacity to come here!!!” “Who is it, babe?” Hayden has never seen this person before and I wish that today wasn’t the day that he decides to show up. “You guys stay here, I have to take care of something.” I walk outside onto the front lawn. “What are you doing here Tristan?” “I came to see my beautiful girlfriend that’s what I came here for.” He came in for a hug and I immediately pushed him away. “Tristan, I don’t want to see you.” “Yes, you do. I know you do you just won’t admit it.” “I lost feelings for you the day you walked out on us. I hate you for what you did to me. I hate you. You don’t know how much pain you caused me, how miserable I was. Now I am happy, genuinely happy and you wanna know who didn’t cause my happiness. You. You wanna know why I feel so happy? For one thing, I have someone who actually cares about me, something you didn’t know how to do. So before I try to hurt you, I suggest you leave.” I turn to walk into the house almost starting to cry. He grabbed my arm and turned me around. “Brooklyn, I am a changed person. I am not the guy who you knew before. I just want you to know that I still love you. I have always loved you even when we ended things. I just want a chance to change your mind.” “No, this isn’t supposed to happen. You don’t get to come here and tell me that you love me, you don’t get to have me in your life anymore you ruined that for yourself. You caused me pain and suffering. I was going to end my own life after you left but then I realized that you weren’t worth it. I have so much ahead in my life, unlike you, I don’t want you coming back into my life and ruining everything. So to answer your question, no you can’t change my mind.” I again start to walk back into the house. “Brooklyn, wait!” “She said no, so I suggest you leave before something bad happens to you.” “And who do you think you are?” Tristan says staring at Hayden. “I’m her boyfriend.” “Well, boyfriend. You don’t scare me.” “Get out of here before I mess up that drunk stupid face of yours. Do us all favor and go back to the hell hole you came from.” “What did you just say to me?” “You heard me.” He runs up to Hayden and sucker punches him in the face. Tristan looks like he’s going to coming towards me so Hayden immediately gets up from being punched and guards his body in front of mine. How brave of him to defend me like that. He wobbles away and in hopes, he never comes back. But I know him, he’ll be back. As we watched Tristan drive away he looks at me. Hayden’s eye is swelling and purple. “Hey, it’s okay don’t worry. He won’t be back for a while. What are you looking at??” “I’m looking at your eye. Ow, that must hurt. Does it hurt?” “Eh not really, but looking at you with my one good eye makes it all worth it.” I give him the biggest hug. “I love you so much.” “Right back atcha Ace.”

Chapter Four.

Today’s the day. The day I fly to Wisconsin with Hayden to meet his entire family. I get to his house early, he said to get there at 8. Well, I am an overachiever and got there at 7:15. I really want his family to like me. That’s all I want. I pull up into the driveway. Turn off the music and put the car in park, take a deep breath and open the car door. As I walk up to the front door Mrs. Miller opens the door with a load of suitcases. “Oh good morning Brooklyn, you startled me a little. Hayden’s inside, we are eating a light breakfast before we head off to the airport. Let me take your suitcase to the car.” I give her my suitcase.“Good morning Mrs. Miller. Thank you so much for letting me come to celebrate this joyous occasion.” “Oh thank you for coming. we are so excited that you could come. Hayden told us so many amazing things about you.” “Same here.” “Well, you go in and have some breakfast. We will be loading up the car at 7:50.” “Okay, again thank you so much.” “No problem.” “I walk into his house and walk into the kitchen. “Hey, you.” He said all cheery and happy. I stared at him with a groggy look on my face. “It is too early for me, I don’t know how you’re doing it. Just letting you know I'm sleeping on the plane.” He laughs and gives me a hug. “You’re something special you know that.” “Yes, my sleeping habits are amusing to you.” As we are hugging a little boy runs into the kitchen. “Hey, who are you?? Is this a stranger Hayden?” says Caleb, Hayden’s younger brother, which he is adorable by the way. I crouch down and reach out my hand. “Hi, I'm Brooklyn. Nice to meet you, Caleb.” “How do you know my name?” “Well, Hayden has told me a lot about you. He told me that you love cars and trucks is that right?” “Yeah. I love cars, trucks, and everything.” “Well Caleb, I have a little surprise for you up my sleeve.” I go into my jacket and pull out a toy car and truck set, his eyes light up like a Christmas tree. “Oh my gosh, I love these so much. Thank you so much Brooklyn.” “No problem. I hope you enjoy them.” “She’s mine now, sorry older bro.” “I guess you have some competition now Hayden.” I look up at him. Caleb runs away to show his parents what I got him. “That was really sweet of you.” “I do what I can to put a smile on kids faces. “And mine.” He wraps his arms around me and we are looking into each other’s eyes when his little sister Corrina comes into the kitchen. “You guys are gross.” “Well I think we are pretty adorable,” Hayden says looking into my eyes. I turn around to get some breakfast when I think that he let go and he didn’t which I didn’t mind. “Get a room you two.” She says all sassy and then walks away. “This is going to be the best weekend of my life,” Hayden says looking straight into my eyes. “COME ON GUYS, LET'S GO, VAN LEAVES IN 5 MINUTES!!” Said his dad when he got to the bottom of the stairs. He comes into the kitchen to grab his morning coffee. “Good morning Brooklyn, glad you can come with us to this special occasion.” “Thank you for letting me come Mr. Miller. It’s a pleasure.” “The pleasures all mine. But please call me Hunter.” “I don’t feel comfortable doing that.” I said while laughing.” “Well that’s your choice but just know its always open.” “Thank you again, Mr.--- Christopher.” He walks away. “Wow you're in my dad’s good graces, he normally doesn’t like any girl that I bring home. “There has been more than one girl that you’ve brought home?” I step closer. “Yes, there has.” “Am I the only girl you’ve taken to a wedding?” “Yes and the only person that I'll ever take.” We kiss, then after we pull away I realize that he just said I’m going to be the only person he takes. I don’t know how I feel about this. But right now I know that I'm happy. “Whatcha thinking Ace?” “If we don’t go they are going to leave without us.” “I’m pretty sure they aren’t going to leave without us.” “Your dad sounded pretty serious, we gotta get going. I start walking and I look back and he has the biggest smile on his face. I reach out my hand and he grabs it.

We arrive at the airport with some extra time to spare. “Okay gang. This is the game plan. Go to any store you like and get whatever you need for the plane ride, it’s going to be a long flight so also go to the bathroom. We’ll talk about the rest of the details when you guys get back.” Hayden and I walk towards the bathrooms and the vending machines. “I’m going to run to the bathroom real quick, can you grab me strawberry milk, sour gummy worms and surprise me with something else.” “You got it.” I give him a kiss on the cheek. As I walk into the bathroom, some older lady follows behind me. I walk outside of the stall, go to wash my hands and I look up and she’s right behind me and scares me “Ahhh, you scared me a little there.” “Was that your boyfriend that you were with before you came in here?” She said suspiciously. “Yes, why do you ask?” I answered scared for what’s going to happen next. “You guys serious yet?” “Getting there, why do you want him?” I said laughing. “No, I’m a fortune teller on the side. And when I first read you two, I saw that you were going to get very serious very fast this trip and you are going to meet someone very important to your story.” “Okay thank you. Well, I gotta get back. Have a good trip yourself.” I walked out of the bathroom very confused. I’m not going to say anything to Hayden about the encounter with the fortune teller. I walk up to him, he’s holding the milk, sour gummy worms, and Pringles. “Thanks.” “No problem.” We walk to the gate where almost everyone is waiting for us. “Okay guys here are your plane tickets. Corrina and Caleb are in Row 12 seats A and B. Dad, Hannah and I are going to be in row 22 seats J and K and Hayden and Brooklyn are in Row 14 seats D and E. Got it??” “Got it!” We all say. We started to board the plane when Hayden looks at me. “Everything’s going to go according to planned.” “I hope so,” I say gently. “Trust me, I know so.”

About 2 and a half hours later, I wake up on Hayden’s shoulder, this has been the most relaxing plane ride of my life. I go back to sleep about a minute later. I sleep the rest of the plane ride. I wake up to a kiss on the cheek and a whisper in my ear, “We are here.” “Yay,” I whisper to him so no one else hears. The flight attendant person comes on the intercom and says a bunch of stuff that I don’t listen to because I am an expert on planes. As we get off the plane that same fortune teller lady was on the flight. I wave to her and she waves back. “Who’s that?” Hayden questions me. “Oh, some lady I met in the bathroom.” “She seems nice.” We get off of the plane, then we go to baggage claim and Christopher says that we can go back to the hotel and get some rest because of the weird time difference. He hands Hayden a key then throws him some car keys. I stand there looking confused. I look at Hayden and give him this look. “Don’t worry, there are two beds.” He whispers to me. I’m just a little relieved but I don’t show it at all. “Hayden, Brooklyn, we are trusting that you’ll take care of this for the weekend if you guys wanna go do something by yourselves.” Mrs. Miller says and throws Hayden keys to a car. “Wow that’s so nice of you guys, thank you,” I say to Mr. and Mrs. Miller. “No problem. Just don’t crash it.”

We get into the car and drive to the hotel. We get up into the hotel room. “They made a mistake, there’s only one bed,” I said a little worried. “Well, I guess that’s okay. I just won’t tell my parents.” He hinted to me. “Nothing is going to happen. Right?” I gave him a look.“Nothing’s going to happen I promise.” He says putting his hands on the air. “But you gotta not be so sexy and maybe I won’t think about it.” He walks up and smacks my butt. I turn around and tackle him on the bed. “Now what are you going to do?” “This.”  He somehow flips me over and is on top of me. “Now what are you going to do?” He says in an intimidating way. I pucker my lips. He kisses me with my arms pinned to the bed. “What time do we have to be down for dinner?” I asked Hayden. “About 6:30. Why?” “Nap??” I begged. “I’m a little jet-lagged,” I say a little groggy. “Yeah, for only an hour because I know how you get.” “How is that?” “You literally sleep all hours of the day.” “I do not. I feel attacked.” “Well, you’re getting attacked. Sorry babe.” I get under the covers and put them over my head. “Okay don’t be like that. You can sleep all you want.” “There’s no way I’m sleeping on this trip because you’re smokin’ hot and I’m not letting any Wisconsin farm girl steal you away from me.” “Don’t worry, I’m sure that all the Wisconsin farm girls will give me lots of smooches and cheese.” I smack him with a pillow. “I’m serious. They can persuade you by giving you really good cheese. Then you’ll be gone forever with the cheese stealers and I don’t want to lose you to cheese girls. When we leave for the airport and your parents ask where you are, I’m going to be like, oh he’s with the cheese lady gods.” “I swear you are the kookiest girl I’ve ever met.” “Well I mean you decided to date me so this is partially your fault and none mine because I’m just laying here.” “Laying there perfectly.” “Can we go two seconds without a cute comment people will think we are crazy.” “Well, who’s in here but us??” “Then I guess we can be as crazy as we want to. But not right now, I’m tired.” “Yes, my princess.” We both get under the covers and fell asleep in each other’s arms.

Then about an hour, later that alarm went off. That damn alarm. I don’t want to get up. It’s too comfortable. “Babe…. Babeeee. Brooklyn Rose if you don’t get up I’m going to hit you with this pillow.” “Okay, okay I’m up.” I look at the time it’s 5 o’clock I have about an hour and 15 minutes to get ready and change. “You know what we need?” I go into my bag and I grabbed a speaker. “We need music!!” Hayden gets in the shower while I start to curl my hair. “So what kind of place are we going for dinner?” “Well normally we do fancy but since it’s my cousin, it’s probably a normal restaurant.” “I’m excited to meet your cousin. I just hope that she likes me, and your whole family.” He peeks his head out of the shower and his hair is in a mohawk. I start smirking. “Trust me, everyone’s going to love you. Also, the grandma that you saw in the hospital is going to be there. So there is going to be one person that already loves you as much as I do.” I put my hand on his wet face. He kisses my arm and gestures for me to come in with him. I shrugged my shoulders and shook my head. “I already did my hair, sorry.” I walk out of the bathroom to get dressed. I’m wearing a nude tight long sleeved shirt, a burgundy skirt, black tights and black heels that have a touch of burgundy, a black jacket, and a nude clutch. Hayden walks out of the bathroom in a towel and literally almost drops it. As he’s getting dressed, he says something. “Ace, don’t move, I just want to stare at you the way you are right now, you’re so beautiful and I just want to never forget it.” “I love you babe but you say this everytime you look at me.” “I just want to remember every moment with you.” I grab his hand and he spins me around and kisses me. I am just really nervous about this dinner. This is the first time I’m meeting his family and I just want everything to go perfectly. “You ready?” Hayden says ready to walk out the door. “Yeah” I take a huge deep breath in and breathe out. I’m not sure if Hayden knows about something just yet. “Hey before we leave can we talk for a second?” “Yeah, sure Ace, what’s up?” “There’s something that I’ve been meaning to tell you and it’s slipped my mind up until now, I struggle with social anxiety.” “What is social anxiety??” He said with a very confused look on his face. “Well, it’s basically I have a fear of being judged or evaluated in a public setting.” “Well, you had no problem coming up to me when we first met?” He said trying to make light of what I just told him but unto his belief, it didn’t work. “Well when I first met you, well you know that situation. If I wasn't the way that I was, I would have been very awkward if I didn’t have no one I knew.” “Well, you’ll never have to feel that way with me.” “I know that I’m afraid of feeling that way with your family.” “Trust me Ace, just give me the warning and we’ll go do something.” “Thank you, but I’m going to face my own fears.” “Well then,” He stands up and takes my hand. “Get ready for a whole lot of crazy.” We walk downstairs to the lobby and there is Hayden’s family. “Are you sure that you’re ready for this?” Hayden whispers to me. It’s cute that he’s nervous. We first walk up to his parents. “Hey mom, dad. I’m going to take Brooklyn around to meet everyone.” “That sounds like a great idea Hayden.” His mom says. She walks up to me and whispers something into my ear. “Don’t worry honey, everything’s going to be alright.” I shake my head. He takes my hand and takes me over to his grandma. “Brooklyn!!!” His grandma said so energetically. She gives me a hug. “Hi Francesca, how have you been doing??” “I have been doing wonderful, thank you.” “Hayden, have you seen your uncle?” “No I haven't, we just started making the rounds.” “Okay, well go introduce this beautiful girl to all of these people.” She grabs my hand and kisses it. We walk around and Hayden introduces me to everyone. They’re really nice. We finally find Savannah and her fiance Anthony. “Ahhhhh!!!!! Little cousin, it’s so good to see you again!!” I love her already. “Hey Sav, haven’t changed a bit.” “There’s someone I want you to meet. This is my girlfriend, Brooklyn Walker.” “Wait, did I hear right? This is your girlfriend, ahh this is so surreal. Hi, my name’s Savannah and this is my fiance Anthony.” “It is so nice to finally meet you guys. Thank you for letting me come to your guy’s wedding.” “Oh it’s no problem, we love all of Hayden’s friends.” Anthony chimes in. “Well you guys go mingle and we’ll have to talk at dinner.” Savannah says and walks away. “Hey maybe I’m going crazy, but I think one of your cousins has been staring at me this entire time.” Hayden turns around. He turns back and has the most disgusted look on his face. “Who is that?” “It’s my cousin Max, he’s always trying to show off when I bring friends around and he tries WAY to hard to impress them.” “Attention everyone. The limos are here to take us to dinner. Everyone load them up.” Someone says. “Shall we?? I think your family likes me.” “Oh yes, I think they do.” “Wait a minute?” I stopped. “Yeah Ace.” “Didn’t you tell me that your grandpa was supposed to be here?” “Yeah, he doesn’t like the before parties so he just comes to the dinner.” “Well, if he’s anything like your grandma, I’ll love him too.” We get to this cute Italian place and Hayden’s grandpa shows up, He’s a little cranky but I think Savannah’s just happy he’s here. “Grandpa!! You made it!” She goes and gives him a hug and he just has a straight face. Hayden goes over to him and shakes his hand. I just stay away until Hayden calls me over. “Grandpa, there’s someone I want you to meet. She’s very special to me. This is my girlfriend Brooklyn Walker.” “It’s very nice to meet you, Hayden has told me so many good things about you.” He just sits there with a blank stare. We sit down for dinner and this is when Hayden’s grandpa finally starts talking to people, and the only person he wants to talk to is me. “You’re a senior isn’t that right Brooklyn?” “Yes sir, I’m a senior part time then I go to the community college and do some classes there.” She’s the top of our class.” Hayden chimes in. “What do you want to do with the rest of your life?” “All of my life I’ve wanted to become a teacher and just recently I discovered I want to go into journalism.” He slams his fork and knife down. “You’ll never survive in this world or be right for this family if that’s what you want to do with your life.” He looks at Hayden then back at me then to Hayden. “You two are two totally different people and don’t you want someone that can compete with you and be compatible for you.” I can see that Hayden’s gonna explode so I put my hand on his thigh and he tries to calm down but he can’t. “I respect your opinion grandpa but you’re wrong about this one. Brooklyn is just as compatible as any other girl I’ve been with, she encourages me to do the things I want to do. Unlike anyone in this family does.” “She’s not right for you boy, don’t you understand that?” “I understand with what you’re saying but I disagree. You don’t know anything about her why would you say that. In fact, I’m done with you insulting someone that I love and care about so goodbye and hope to see you at the wedding.” We get up and walk out. “Hayden, where are you going?” His mom came up to us. “You knew all along what he was going to do and you let me sit there like an idiot.” “No, I didn’t know that he was going to do that but I knew he thought that.” “Wow, what a family I have. Thanks for the support. We are leaving, see you at the wedding.” We walk out. Not a word was spoken on the way home. We get to the elevator. “Hey, you coming up?” “If it’s okay, I’m just gonna take a walk and I’ll be up in like a half an hour.” “You do whatever you need to do.” I walk up to our room and close the hotel door.

Chapter Five.

I wake up the next morning and I roll over to see his face. He looks like he was out all night. So I rolled over to check the time. It’s 7:25 am, we have to be down there by 8:50 for breakfast. I shake him and kiss his cheek. “time to wake up my love.” He grogs and groans until he has the strength to sit up. “My god, it’s been a long night.” He said while rubbing his eyes. “Hayden Maxwell, what time were you out till last night?” “Umm, maybe 1 am. Are you mad?” “No, I’m not mad. I was just worried about you all night.” “I’m sorry, I’ll make sure that I’ll be more careful next time.” “Thank you, did you figure out everything you needed to?” “Yeah, it was very peaceful then I found my cousins and we went to the 24-hour diner and just sat and talked until we got tired and walked back here.” “Sounds like fun, was that one of the cousins I met yesterday?” “Yeah, he’s cool though I promise.”  We get ready for the day and go downstairs to see everyone and get some breakfast. “The first people we see are his parents. “Good morning you guys, how’d you guys sleep?” Hayden’s dad asked. “We slept good thanks for asking dad,” Hayden said. “Now on today’s agenda…” Mrs. Miller said. “Your father and I are going to do a couples spa day before the wedding tomorrow and you guys can go to walk around the city with your cousins. “Sounds good. What time do you want us back for dinner?” Hayden asked. “6:30” “Okay, sounds good.” We walk away and I whisper to Hayden. “Please don’t tell me we are spending the day with the creepy cousin?” “Hate to break it to you babe, but it is. Just act all lovey with me and he will know you’re mine.” “Or I can just send you with the crazy cheese ladies and then I’ll have your cousin all to myself.” I looked up at him smiling. “You wouldn’t dare.” “Don’t buy any cheese and then I won’t have to.” “Is that a threat?” “Maybe” “Then I’m definitely buying some cheese.” He kisses my forehead. “If that’s truly how you feel then who am I to stop you.” We walk out of the hotel with Hayden’s cousin creeping behind us so we wouldn’t see him, but we did. We get outside of the hotel and he comes up to me. “Hi, I don’t think we’ve met, my name is Brayden. And is yours gorgeous?” “Well hello, Brayden. I’m Brooklyn, Hayden’s girlfriend.” Hayden puts his arm around me giving Brayden a weird glare. “Oh, sorry. For some reason, I was feeling a little off today. But when you came along, you definitely turned me on.” “Okay well, we are going to go. We will see you later.” I said in distraught, then we walk away. Then we start talking. “You’re right, he is creepy. That was super weird.” “Well, that’s Brayden for you. “Has he done this with your past girlfriends?” “Well see here’s the thing. You’re the first girl that I’m introducing to my family.” “Oh really now? “You don’t need to sound so surprised.” “I’m not, totally not surprised.” To be honest I kind of am shocked that I am the first one of his many girlfriends to meet his family. We stop at this coffee shop and I sit down while he orders coffee. Just what I like. Mocha Cappuccino with extra whip cream. He sits down and we were talking when he brought something up. “I got it.” He started saying. “Got what?” “The reason why you’re the only girl I’ve taken to meet my family.” “Okay, I’m listening.” “You are different than every girl I’ve ever been with. Your face lights up a room. You are nice to literally every person and you don’t like to hurt anyone and when you do, you feel horrible about it. You are so beautiful. The inside and outside. We have fun together, even just being with each other. We balance each other out. I think that was what was wrong with my past relationships were, we didn't connect as we do. Even though you were totally wasted haha. “Yeah, I made a really great first impression.” I chuckled. “After you were sober, we had and still have amazing conversations. I love to show you off and say that this is my girlfriend and I’m proud to be with someone like you.” I grabbed his hand. “I feel the exact same way.” We just sat there and looked into each other’s eyes and smiled. For the next couple of hours, we were just with each other and I loved every second of it. My next goal is to get through this wedding without anything going wrong. But this isn’t any normal story, is it?

Saturday. Today is the day we have all hoped for. Well most of us. Hayden’s grandpa is still mad at me for some reason. Also, Hayden's creepy cousin keeps making weird passes at me and I’m very uncomfortable, and Hayden definitely knows it. It’s so creepy because he knows that we are together but that’s not stopping him. We are getting ready for the wedding when we hear a knock on the door, I answer it in my robe and slippers. It was a flower bouquet. I expected it to be from Brayden but that wasn’t the case at all. “Oh my gosh, you will never believe this.” “What is it, babe?” “It’s a flower bouquet.” “Is it from Brayden?” The opposite actually. It’s from Tristan.” “You’ve got to be kidding me? What did the note say?” “It says: Hey beautiful, hope you are having a great time in Wisconsin. Save me some kisses for me when you get back. Love, Your beloved boyfriend, Tristan.” “Ugh, Hayden, I thought that he was gone forever but it’s like wherever I go he appears. Call me crazy but I think I’m going to call him and give him a piece of my mind.” “You do whatever you feel is right Ace.” I pick up my phone and dial his number. “Well hello, my lovely girlfriend.” I scoffed. “You know to do crazy stalkerish things like this, I will have to take legal action.” “Come on babe, you really wouldn’t give me a restraining order would you doll face?” “If my life depended on it which I think it does at this point, I think I might have to. How did you even find out I was in Wisconsin?” “Your little friend what was her name, oh yeah, Scarlett was her name, she told me about your little long weekend.” “Excuse me, we aren’t finished with this conversation.” “I can wait forever for you baby.” “Disgusting, always a pleasure not.” I hang up the phone and call a very special friend of mine. I call and she answers the phone. “Hello?” “Hi Scarlett, It’s Brooklyn your supposed best friend. Can I talk to you for a second.” “Sure, I don’t have long so what’s up” “Why in the world did you tell my ex-boyfriend that I was in Wisconsin with my new boyfriend.” “I don’t know where was your loyalty to your best friends when you got a new relationship.” “I was still there for you guys, I was also happy because this was the first time that a guy made me feel special and happy since Tristan left. But I guess if you can’t find it in your heart to be happy for me, then I guess it’s over. You may think that I’m ending our friendship over a guy, I’m not. If you're not happy for me when I get a new relationship, how can I accept you to be happy for anything else in my life.” “I don’t know.” She says with a shivering crackling voice. “That’s right you don't know, but I do know. I know that you aren’t a true friend and haven’t been. You team up with my ex-boyfriend to ruin my recent relationship. That’s pitiful, how can I trust you ever again. So goodbye Scarlett.” I hang up the phone and immediately started crying. Hayden comes and comforts me. “ Did I do the right thing? Stop being friends with her. “Yeah, she isn't trustworthy. She teamed up with your ex-boyfriend for god sakes, it was about time you let her go.” “Okay.” I stand up and wipe my tears. He stands up too and wipes my tears. “Hey, look at me. We are going to have an amazing day. No matter what happens, I will be here for you. He had his hands on my shoulders and I put my hand on his arm. I walk away and I continue to get ready. It’s almost time to leave and I come out in this beautiful floor length low cut lace dress. I pair it with nude heels and some accessories. I walk out and Hayden’s eyes look like they were going to pop out of his head. “Hey, so how do I look?” “I have literally no words to describe how beautiful you look right now.” “Thank you, you don’t look bad yourself. I walk up to him and put my hand on his cheek. He grabs my hand and twirls me around. “Hey pretty boy, I know you don’t want to do this and trust me I do not want your creepy cousin staring at me the entire night. But we have to do this, so as I say the quicker we leave, the quicker we can leave.” “That my love is true, Ace and Hayden Miller out.” “Did you just say what I think you said.” “What did I say?” “You were acting like we were married.” “Well, that’s gonna happen so get used to hearing it.” I turn away and smile and blush. “Well, we gotta get going before your grandpa yells at us one more time or your cousin tries hitting on me which I’m betting that it’s going to happen.” “I will be with you the entire time so that’s not going to happen.” We leave the hotel room and head to the elevator. “Yeah but if there’s ever a chance that I am by myself, we might have to send him with the crazy cheese ladies. I heard they accept anyone. All are welcome to the House of Crazy Cheese Ladies.” We started laughing our butts off. “You are one cruel lady.” “Hey get that attitude with me, mister, you’ll be sent to the crazy cheese lady farm with your crazy perverted cousin.” “I’m sorry. It won’t ever happen again.” “It better not or off you go.”

We got to the hall for the ceremony and we walked in and immediately one of the bridesmaids came up to me in a panic. “You’re Brooklyn Walker right?!?” “Yes I am, how may I help you.” “Savannah says that she needs you and she’s kind of in a hurry.” “Okay whatever you need, I’m here.” “Can you go in there and save me a seat?” Then I whisper in his ear, “You got this I’ll be a half an hour, it’s just you’re family what could go wrong?” I give him a kiss and the bridesmaid grabs my arm and we quickly get to Savannah’s room. “Hey Savannah, what’s wrong I heard it was an emergency.” “Oh my gosh, you’re my hero. I can’t seem to get my corset tied, can you try because it seems like no one here can get it.” “I’ll totally try.” I go to Savannah and I tie the corset.” “There you go. Perfect.” “Wow, you’re my hero.” She gives me a hug. “Congratulations. You look absolutely stunning.” “Awe thank you, and so do you! That dress looks stunning on you.” “Thank you.” Meanwhile, while Hayden is saving me a seat, the ever so lovely Brayden goes up to Hayden and sits in my seat. “What Brooklyn already flaked, she too humiliated to be with you she just had to fly back to California.” “No, she’s in the back helping Savannah with something.” “Or she’s planning her escape.” “She’s planning her escape but I’m not the one she’s trying to escape from.” “What’s the supposed to mean?” “You know exactly what it means.” I walk up to Hayden and Brayden walks away. “What was that about?” “He just had to tell me something.” “Oh okay.” I sit down and the wedding begins. Savannah walks down the aisle and she looks stunning from head to toe. After the ceremony is over, we walk over to the reception. “That was such a beautiful ceremony.” I said as we were about to enter the reception hall. “Yeah, I agree.” Hayden says kind of short. “Hey Hayden, is everything okay?” “Yeah, just thinking.” “Anything you wanna share?” “Nah, It’s nothing important just my thoughts spewing around in my head.” “Okay.” We walk past Brayden and he keeps on looking at me weirdly. I don’t understand why. We enter the hall and it looks so beautiful. I never want to leave. We check the board to see what table everyone is sitting at. I find our table, it’s table #7, I look to see who’s on it. Hayden’s parents and siblings, his grandma. You’ve got to be kidding me right. “Oh god.” I said to Hayden. “What’s wrong Ace?” “Look at the last name on our table list.” He looks and looks back to me. “You’ve got to be kidding me.” “You took the words right out of my head. We need a plan of attack.” “Okay, go.” We are walking back to our table when I start to think. “Okay, I got it. What does Brayden get jealous at the most?” “I’m drawing a blank.” I grab his hand and hold it and raise it up. “He hates when we are coupley and all that stuff. So what we have to do to make him stop flirting with me is to be all lovey and stuff.” “Perfect. Let’s start now.” He grabs me and kisses me. I look around. “He’s not around.” “I know that. Am I not allowed to kiss my stunning girlfriend?” “Yeah, but now we are on a mission.” We walk to our table and there are name cards placed at our seats. Of course, I’m in between Hayden and Brayden. I’ll just make the best of it. The reception started. Everyone sitting together laughing, really having a great time. Then Savannah and Anthony get up to the mic. “Well hello everyone! Hope you are having a wonderful evening. I know we are! I just wanted to thank you from the bottom of our hearts this means the world to us that each and every one of you for coming. Hope you all have a great night.” They leave and go back to their seats. Everyone claps then dinner is served. While everyone eats, they are doing dances. After Savannah is done dancing with her dad, she grabs the mic. “This next dance is a little different. I need my little cousin Hayden Miller to come up here, please. The two of us have been planning my wedding since we were kids. Hayden comes up next to Savannah. “There was one song that he loved at the time and little Hayden looks at me and says, “Vannah, when you get married someday, this is the song that we are dancing to because I am your favorite cousin. I just sat there laughing because I thought I would never remember the song, but thankfully I did. So this is for us. I love you, Hay, now I hope you enjoy 5-year-old Hayden’s song choices.” They started dancing. It was so sweet how connected they were. I’m not that close with my family. I mean we are at some moments but at others, I don’t even think they know what kind of person I am. Brayden moves closer to me and I’m so confused. “Um, Hi.” I said in confusion. “Hi, I’m one of Hayden’s cousins Brayden. I think you look stunning in that dress.” “Um thank you but I’m taken.” “Wait you didn’t tell me that we were dating. That was so rude of you to not even tell me.” “You know I’m dating your cousin. Say one more comment like that to me, you’ll regret it.” He backs off just as Hayden comes back. “Hey, you.” He kisses me on the cheek. “That was beautiful what Savannah did for you, and oh my god that song. Who knew that your 5-year-old self had good taste in music.” “You know I was thinking of one girl during that dance that I want to dance with right now.” “I know who it is, it’s that crazy cheese girl that is obsessed with you. I told her to not come near you.” We both started to laugh. “Come on, I have the perfect slow song that’s going to come on right about..” A song comes on right after he said that. “You didn’t,” I said excitedly. We got up and went to the dance floor. That song is special because it was playing when we had our first kiss and when we said I love you. The music is playing and everyone is slow dancing. “You’re definitely the best dancer in here.” He said smiling. “Well, you’re lying.” “And the prettiest one in here.” “Now I know you’re lying.” “Fine, I’ll go tell the crazy cheese lady that she’s beautiful.” I hit his chest. “You would not.” “Well believe me and I would have to.” “Fine, I believe you.” “Thank you.” We kissed. Then the song was over and while we were walking back to our seats, Brayden was still staring at us. I don’t know what his problem is. About a half an hour later, Hayden and I were talking to one of his relatives when I excused myself to get something to drink when someone crossed my path. “Woah Woah Woah where do you think you’re going alone?” “Excuse me I’m going to get a drink.” “Oh no, you’re not.” “And why is that, it’s a free country, I am able to do whatever I chose to do.” “I mean you’re not going anywhere without me.” “You’re crazy.” I walk past him when he grabs my waist to pull me back. “Hey, buddy, what do you think you’re doing here.” “I’m just having a little fun with your girlfriend. Isn’t that what you’re doing with her.” He points to me. “Isn’t that what you do Hayden, you have fun with a girl until you get what you want. Then when you get what you want, you just dump her for no reason. Isn’t that right?” In a pit of rage Hayden just goes whaling on Brayden. Punch after punch until he was bleeding everywhere. As I’m yelling at Hayden to stop, he’s not listening. I don’t think that anyone can make him stop. Two guys run immediately over and pull the boys apart. Hayden takes one good look at everyone and everything, then he walks out. A couple seconds later I go chasing after him.

Chapter Six.

I’m still in shock from everything that happened last night. I haven’t talked to Hayden since before the fight happened. I don’t know what to think, how to react. Savannah texted me to see if everything was okay with Hayden and to tell me that Brayden left, but I honestly didn’t know how to respond back to her. Today’s our last day and we fly home to California tomorrow morning, I just want to be home and for everything to go back to normal, but at this point, I know that that won’t happen. I roll over to find Hayden not there, there’s a body shaped indent in the bed but nothing there. I roll back over and look at my phone and see that he texted me saying that he just needed a good workout to get all of his anger out. So that means that I can lay back in bed. I fall back asleep when I wake back up to find a certain someone on top of me. “Well, this is new.” “Good morning beautiful.” “Good morning.” “So I booked us an earlier flight home than everyone else because I just feel like I need to get out of here like soon.” “Okay, it’s your call whatever you want. What time does the flight leave?” “ I’m pretty sure it leaves at 4:30.” “Got it. But what are we going to do till then.” “I was thinking how about we take Caleb and Corrina ice skating.” “Sure but there’s one problem. I don’t know how to ice skate.” “Don’t worry, I got you. So get up and get ready to leave.” “Got it chief.” I get up and get ready for the day. I braided my hair put on layers upon layers of clothes and my snow boots and got ready to leave. Hayden left about a half an hour ago to go get Caleb and Corinna. I wonder what’s taking him so long. I hear the card go into the card hole and the door opens and someone runs towards me. “BROOKLYN!!” A little 6 years old runs towards me and I bent down. “CALEB!!” I screamed back and gave him a big hug. I stand up and he’s still attached to me. “Hey,” Corrina said and walked past me on her phone. “Everyone listens up,” Hayden said. “I have an idea that’ll get us to bond more.” He takes out his phone, I give him my phone. Now here’s the hard one and we’ll probably get hated for it. Hayden walks past me and Caleb that is still hanging onto me which I think is adorable, he goes up to Corrina who is still on her phone and picks it up and takes it away. “What do you think you’re doing?” “You are too attached to your phone and we are going to change that, at least for today. After we leave back for California, you can go on your phone all you want but right now, you are off of it.” “Not fair!” Corrina said in a fit of rage. “Now let's go before we leave.” We leave for the ice skating arena and I’m nervous. I can't ice skate for the life of me and I really don’t feel like falling today and being sore tomorrow but maybe if I just stand on the outside maybe I won’t have to do it at all.

We get to the arena and get everything ready when I just sit down while they go skate. About 15 minutes later, Hayden skates up to me. “What do you think you’re doing?” “I’m sitting here.” “Come on you’re skating and you’re gonna have fun.” I huffed and got my skates on. “You’re going to regret making me do this,” I say as soon as I got onto the ice. I slip and I’m unbalanced but Hayden’s got me. “See you’re not that bad.” “I don’t believe you,” I said thinking I was horrible when I knew I was. Then I started slipping. “See I told you.” “Fine don’t believe me. I can have my own opinion.” “Yes, you can.” I started to slip and slide and I’m literally holding on to Hayden for dear life. “Okay, I tried it. I hate it. Get me out of here before I hurt myself or small children.” He laughs and drags me out of the rink. I’m sitting there taking off my skates and I turn and look at Hayden. “That was the worst experience of  my entire life.” “I know it was, I’m here to push you to do stuff your not comfortable with. Also, I’m the only one who will put up with you for a day to day basis.” I laughed and hit him. “Well I’m adorable so I have one thing.” “That indeed you are. What time is it?” 2:15.” “We should start getting the kids and leave so we can catch our flight.” We brought the kids back to the hotel all in one piece and we were packing our things when Hayden looked at me and said something. “Hey, I got a question.” “Ask away.” “This is very hard to ask, but I want to know.” He sits on the bed and I sit next to him. “What’s going on honey?” “Do you see a future with us beyond high school? I know it’s scary for me to ask this but we’ve been getting serious lately with you meeting my family and everything. I just want to know if we are on the same page.” “Woah. Well, the only thing I can say is yes I absolutely see a future with us. Also, only time can tell us and what will happen. Right now, we have to take it one day at a time. Okay?” “Got it.” “Is there anything else?” “Nope that’s it.” “Okay.” I grab his hand and looked in his eyes. “Let’s go home,” I said. “Yeah, let’s go home.”

After what felt like a 5-hour flight, we were finally back home. It felt so good to be home where everything was normal. Hayden drops me off at home and I walk into my house. I walked into the living room. My cousin was sitting on the couch in distraught. “Oh my gosh Hailee what are you doing here?” “I ran away from home.” “What? Why and how did that happen?” “I’m pregnant, I told my parents and they weren’t so supportive of it. So I moved in with my boyfriend’s family. When that was too much for me, I caught the next train with a girl from my pregnancy support group. She found a friend to crash with and I didn’t feel comfortable there and I knew you lived near the house so she drove me. I have nowhere to go.” “I will have to talk to mom and dad but I’m sure that we’d be happy to have you stay here. Don’t you worry bout a thing? Family comes first.” My parents come into the house with Elijah and Lily about a half an hour later from what seems to be a shopping trip. “Brooklyn you’re home. How was your trip?” My mom sounded so happy to see me. “My trip was good. Look who’s here. It’s Hailee, my cousin.” “Oh my goodness Hailee! What are you doing here?” “It’s a long story. Anyways, can I talk to you guys in private?” “Sure, anything for you.” My dad said. They took her into the other room. After they left, my siblings bombarded me with questions. But I didn’t answer any of them. I was just worried about Hailee. They came back to the living room. I was so nervous. Were they going to kick her to the curb like her parents? “Brooklyn, you are going to have to share your room for a while.” My dad said. I was so relieved, she had a good place to stay and we don’t have to worry. I just hugged her. I never wanted to leave her side. She’s our priority now. “Also, she needs some maternity clothes, so do you mind taking her to the mall?” My mom looked and said. “Yeah sure, it’s no problem, i’ll drive.” I grab my keys and we leave. As we were walking through the mall Hayden kept on texting me. I told him about my cousin and he understood that this is something I needed to do to protect my family. But he was still himself after all. “Who’s the guy in your lock screen?” Hailee changed the subject. “That is Hayden Miller, my boyfriend.” “He’s a cutie, don’t lose him.” “Oh, I definitely won’t.” “He’s the guy that you went on the trip with, I’m guessing.” “You guess right. His cousin was having a wedding and he invited me, so I said yes.” “You guys have sex yet?” “Oh no, just cuddled.” Avery sees us and runs over to us. I haven’t talked to her since Scarlett and I had our big fight. “OMG Brooks, I haven’t talked to you in what feels like forever. How was Hayden’s cousin's wedding?” “It was so romantic and everything I could have ever hoped for.” “That’s so good. And who is this baby mama?” “Avery I would like you to meet my cousin Hailee. Hailee this is one of my best friends since well forever.” They shake hands and exchange hellos. “Sorry for prodding but when’s your due date?” “May 18th.” “Do you know what you’re having?” “Yeah, a little girl. Her name is Annabella Mae.” “Awe that is absolutely adorable.” “Thanks.” “Hey, I have an idea.” I chimed in. Avery why don’t you come shopping with us.” “Oh, I don't want to intrude on your fam time.” “Oh, it’s no trouble at all. Hailee and I will have so many more times to bond. Do you mind Hailee?” “No, come on join us. “Okay!”

The three of us come back to my house when I find a distraught Hayden on my doorstep. I guess today is my day to find distraught people at my house. “Hey baby what’s the matter?” I sit by him and rub his arm. “Hey girls can you go inside and pick a movie, I’ll be in there in a minute to join you.” They walk away and that’s when he just broke down and started crying. “What’s wrong. You can talk to me about anything you know that.” “He left.” “Who left?” “My dad. He and my mom got into this huge argument and they started talking about the past and apparently, he had an affair with a younger woman and my mom never knew and she told him to pack his things and leave.” “Oh my gosh. That is so horrible. I’m so sorry that this had to happen to you. Do you want to come inside and hang out with us? I’m sure the girls won’t mind.” “No, it’s fine. I don’t want to intrude on your girl’s night. I think I’m just going to drive around for a while.” “Okay, but if you need me or anything, Call me, whatever time it is. I will be there.” “Have I ever told you how much I appreciate you.” “Once or twice.” “I love you.” “I love you too.” He pulls me in and we kiss. Little did I know that that kiss would lead to something terrible.

Chapter Seven.

It has been a week since Hayden has been in school. I haven’t talked to him since he came over. Everyone copes differently, and I just felt like he needed his space. But it’s been a week and I’m worried. I try calling him. No answer. I text Todd and tell him we need to meet, I am so worried about Hayden. After school, I meet up with Todd in the parking lot. I haven’t talked to him since the beginning of the year when he tried to hit on me. I’m only here to talk about Hayden, that’s my number one priority. “Hey, Todd.” “Well are you here for round two of what happened at the beginning of the year?” “Oh god no, that was disgusting. That’s not why I’m here.” “Well, then why are you here?” “Have you talked to Hayden in the past week?” “Yeah, we were just texting this morning.” ‘Oh really now.” “Yeah, he seemed perfectly fine, why?” “I haven’t talked to him in over a week and I was worried. I thought he was just coping from his dad leaving. I gotta go.” I drove over to his house which was a bad mistake but I knew it had to be done. I rang the doorbell. He answered. “Has your phone not been working or does it not send texts to your girlfriend.” “Brooklyn, I have something to tell you” “What is it?” “This is really hard for me to admit but after the night that I came over, when I left I went to a bar and I got super drunk and I cheated on you. The reason why I didn't say anything is I was afraid of this happening.” “Wow, I didn’t pin you for a coward. You were avoiding me for a week just because you were afraid of this happening. That’s shameful. I can’t believe you. But I think I did something way worse than you. I stayed home and trusted you. I finally found love when I met you. You gave me a whole new meaning to love after what Tristan did to me. We completed each other. You were the person I thought I could spend the rest of my life with, and that’s a pretty damn long time. I hate you. I hate what you did to me.” I started crying. “Baby don’t cry. We can fix this.” He grabs my arm and I immediately pulled away. “No, I’m not your baby anymore. We are over. Don’t talk to me ever. If the universe is right about this one, we will find our way back to each other. But not right now. Goodbye Hayden.” I turned around. He let me walk away. That’s another sad part. I got home ran upstairs and locked the door and cried, and cried. I cried until there was nothing left in me. “No one knew what happened. I didn’t go to school. I was so depressed. My parents saw I wasn’t eating, all I was doing was sleeping. I was sad for months. So they had an idea to move and have a fresh start. It was February. I didn’t tell anyone I was moving. I was too painful to face everyone. We were moving to Oregon. No one knew me there. Truly a fresh start. But word was getting out back in California that I left.

“Hey, Noah.” Hayden said looking like he needed information. If anyone knew anything and everything about the school's social system it was him. “Hey, traitor isn’t there more people you can go cheat on my bestie with than standing here and talk to me?” “I just need to know where Brooklyn is. I haven’t seen her in months.” “You didn’t hear.” “Hear what?” “Brooklyn, she moved to Oregon for a fresh start. I thought you would have heard around by now.” “I had no idea she even left.” “Oh, I’m sorry man.” “It’s all good man, I’ll catch you later.” Noah saw the pain in Hayden’s eyes, but the good person that he was, he didn’t mention anything. I hated leaving like this. This isn’t how it was supposed to go. But for me to be mentally happy, we need this time apart. I hear a knocking on the door. It opens. “Hey sweetie, you ready for your first day?” My mom says. “I have a good feeling about this one.” “Well, that’s good. So you’ll go to school and come home and I was thinking that me, you, Lily and Hailee would do a girl’s mall trip.” “Yeah, that sounds good.” “Now hurry up you don’t wanna be late on the first day. You have a meeting with your principal first thing.” “Okay well, I better get going. Love you and thank you for agreeing to move.” “Anything for you my darling.” She kisses my head and I walk out the door. I’m excited but nervous. I know I can do this. I walk into Portland High School a lot calmer than I thought I would be. I walk into the school and I had my head buried into my map that I completely ran into someone. “Oh my gosh I am so sorry, I had my head in my map. Hi I’m Brooklyn Walker I’m new here, and you are?” “I’m Aiden Scott, nice to meet you, Brooklyn.” “While I have you here, can you show me to the principal's office I’d really really appreciate it.” “Yeah, I’d love to.” He takes me to the principal's office about 5 minutes later. “Thank you so much….” I couldn’t remember his name for the life of me. “Aaron. Aaron Scott. Before you go, can I maybe, get your number?” “Sure, give me your phone.” He gives me his phone and I put my number into his phone. “See you around Brooklyn Walker.” “See ya.” I walked into the principal’s office and I couldn’t stop thinking about Hayden. I think that this is a part of the moving on process. “Good morning I’m here to see Principal Collins.” I walk in and say to the secretary. “She’ll be out in a minute to see you. Have a seat.” “Thank you.” “Mrs. Walker.” “Yes.” “Hi, I’m your principal Harleigh Collins. Come on to my office so we can chat.” I walked into her office. “So you came from California, why such a big move here to Oregon?” “My family just needed a change of pace that’s all.” “So you are an honors classes and you took college classes at your community college.” “Yes, I took some classes after my credits at my high school.” “Very impressive young lady.” “Thank you.” Finally, some of my hard work had paid off. “So here is your schedule and a map of the building. You will be taking 5 periods here and the rest will be at the college right across the street.” “Thank you so much, Principal Collins, it was a pleasure meeting you.” “Same to you. I think you’re going to enjoy it here at Portland High School.” I walk out of the office checking the time and the schedule it’s only second period. Math. I’ve never been a fan of math. Ever, it’s so confusing. I walk in front of room 256. I hate being the new kid, and especially not knowing anyone. I get up the courage and knock on the door. Someone opens it, a face that I don’t recognize. Obviously. I walk in and everyone is taking a test. I look around the room and I notice that Aiden is in this class. Thank goodness. At least I knew I had a friend. Or at least someone I’m comfortable talking to. He waves to me and I wave back. Some girl gives me a dirty look. I wonder if she’s an ex-girlfriend. “Hi, I’m Brooklyn Walker. I’m new here.” “Hi, Brooklyn, can you take a seat next to Mr. Scott and I’ll fill you in when he’s done with his test. So feel free to just relax and I’ll be right over.” “Thank you.” I walk in the back and sit next to Aiden. He gives me a look and finishes his test. He gets up and turns it in and came to sit down. “What’s the deal with the blonde? When I waved to you she gave me a dirty look.” “Ah, Vanessa. She’s my ex, we ended things a while ago because she’s literally crazy so I dumped her. She however still thinks we are still together. But if you ask me, we are totally over.” He winks at me. Oh my goodness I think he’s flirting with me. I don’t know what to do. Mr. Reed came up to Aiden and I’s table. “ So here’s what we have been doing for the past month.” “I’ll give you a couple weeks to catch up with us. Do you think you’ll be able to do that?” “Yeah, I can do that.” “Okay, good.” He walks away. “I don’t know how I’m going to do all of this.” I whisper to Aiden. “I can help you. I’m a math genius. Wanna meet up and I can help you get caught up?” “Yes oh my gosh thank you so so much.” “After school. My house. I’ll text you my address.” Then the bell rings and I go to my next class. Aiden walks with me. Somehow he’s outside every one of my classes which is great, I really need a friend right now. I texted my mom and asked her to postpone our girl’s shopping trip for a couple of hours because she knows how much it means to me and how I want to make friends. After school, I drove over to Aiden’s house. I am a little bit nervous. I haven’t really hung out with any guys since Hayden. Why would I? He was all I needed. But now he’s gone. But he did that to himself. I did nothing wrong, besides that he would make a wise choice. I walked up to Aiden’s porch and rang the doorbell. His mom answered. “Hi, you must be Brooklyn. I am Aiden’s mom, Mrs. Scott. Come on in and have a seat Aiden should be down in a couple minutes. Holler if you need anything.” “Thank you, Mrs. Scott. Your home is beautiful.” “That’s so sweet of you to say. We just got finished with remodeling things.” “Nice, what did you remodel?” “We remodeled the back porch and the kids rooms. Did Aiden tell you he has an older sister? She’s in college at Oregon State. She’s studying Marine Biology.” “That sounds so cool, and no he didn’t tell me that he had a sister. We actually just met this morning when I couldn’t find the principal’s office and he showed me where it was. Then we found out that we had 2nd period together and that’s where the math help came in because I’m way behind.” Aiden walks in. “Hey, you.” He hugs me. “I see you’ve met my mom.” “Yeah, she’s so sweet.” “Well, we should get to studying. Mom, we will be in my room if you need us.” “Wait, Brooklyn. Do you want to stay for dinner?” “I’m making stir fry and I’m sure that we would have some for you.” “Aw thank you so much but I’m afraid I can only stay for a little while. My mom is taking me and my sister out for dinner. But I will definitely take you up on that soon.” We go up into his room and start studying. “So we should probably start getting you caught up.” “Why else would I be here?” I said sarcastically. “True that.” He opens a book and flips to a page. “20 questions.” He says. “Excuse me?” “How about I ask you 20 questions.” “Is this a way for you to get me to kiss you?” “You will never know.” “Wow, the element of suspense intrigues me, go on.” “Okay, first question. Have any siblings?” “I have two. Elijah and Lily. They are my whole world.” “Do you want kids.” “Yes, one day. Towards the end of college or after that.” “Okay next question, how many relationships have you been in.” “Um before I moved here, I had two serious relationships. both ended badly.” “What happened? If you don’t mind me asking.” “No it’s fine I’m pretty much an open book you can ask me anything and I’ll answer it. So my first real relationship the guy was a jerk and abusive and I thought I would never love again. Then the second one came along. I finally had hope. We were in a serious relationship and when his dad left his family because he had an affair. He didn’t stay home with me. He went out and got drunk and cheated on me.” “Ah man, that sucks. No one should be treated like that. Especially someone as sweet as you.” “Thank you. We better get to studying.” “Yeah, your right. About an hour later, we started talking. About literally anything and everything. It was different than Hayden. It was new. “Hey” Aiden looked into my eyes. “Have you ever wanted to do something so badly but you didn’t know if it was the right move.” “I know exactly how you feel.” “What would you do about that?” “Whatever it was, I would just do it,” “Brooklyn…” “Yeah?” He pulled me close. His chest against mine. His lips against mine. We didn’t care about the rest of the world. But there was one other thing. I felt nothing. I had no romantic or physical emotion to this human being. There is only one human I want to be with. I need to tell him before it’s too late.

Chapter Eight.

I had a long talk with my parents and they told me that I haven't been myself and I completely agree with them. California is my home and where my heart belongs there. My heart belongs to Hayden. I drive all the way back to Cali. No one knows I'm coming back. I have no idea what I'm going to say to him but I know that I love him and I can’t live without him. I’m driving and it just feels like my soul has entered my body again. I couldn’t be happier. I make it to Noah’s house. I pull in his driveway and I go up to his front door. I’m so nervous, what if he doesn’t want me home. I just have to go for it. I ring the doorbell. He opens it and has the shock of a lifetime. “Oh my gosh. Brooklyn Walker as I live and breathe. Come on in.” I go inside. “What are you doing back. Please tell me that you’re here for the rest of the school year.” “That is correct. I realized that Oregon wasn't for me and I missed Cali and you so much.” “Now you have to tell me, did you meet any hotties while you were there?” “Well, actually I met someone. His name is Aiden, we kissed once. When we kissed, I felt nothing for him and I realized that I want to be with Hayden, forever.” “That is huge. We have to tell him now. I can’t just go like this, I look like a mess and I really need some sleep.” “Okay, tomorrow we will glam you up to go get the love of your life.” “Before that, I need to meet with someone. What do you know about Morgan?”

I texted her to meet me. I didn’t actually think she’d say yes. This right here could make or break everything. “Hi. Can we talk” I said. “Sure definitely,” Morgan said. I explained everything to her about our relationship up until this point. I explained my thoughts, hopes, and fears. “Well, what you’re saying here is that you miss him and you don’t want any relationship with this Aiden guy.?” “I want Aiden to be a part of my life but only as a friend. I want Hayden in a completely different way. We complete each other. He’s my best friend. Yeah, what he did was horrible but I love him. I love him so much that I can’t see myself with anyone but him. I know that this is crazy to say but it’s how I feel.” “It’s very rare that people find their soulmate. Especially this young. But if this is how you feel, what’s stopping you.” “Thank you so much for your help, you’re so much nicer than the last time I saw you, what happened?” “Well, I just realized that I will get nowhere with being a bitch to people so I just stopped and took some time to evaluate my life and it was honestly the best decision of my entire life.” “Well, I’m glad that you made that decision because then we wouldn't be friends.” We are friends.” “I’d like to think we were.” “Me too.” I went back to Noah’s and got all prettied up, not too much though. On the way there, I was thinking of different things to say and nothing seemed right. But I know that when I see him everything will fall into place. I pull onto the side of the road and walk up to his doorstep and man was I nervous. My hands were shaking and I was sweating. I rang the doorbell. He answered. “Hi, I’m home.” “I’m so confused what are you doing here?” “Oregon wasn’t the right fit for me. I also realized something.” “Which was what exactly?” “What you did was not the smartest. I know that now. I also can’t live without you, Hayden Miller. You are the only one for me and the person I want to spend forever with. Being apart for so long made me so depressed and sad that my family wanted us and me most importantly to get a fresh start. I think this time apart was good because we needed to figure out ourselves without each other. The truth is I don't want that. I don't want a world without you Hayden. We are best friends, we complete each other. I miss being your girlfriend. I miss being with you. We spent so much time being with each other getting to know one another.” “I just want to love you again and have a safe place but also have so many adventures and memories. Will you forgive me and take me back?” “What do you think coming here saying all of that would make things better.” “Basically yeah.” “Well, it worked.” “Really?” “I missed you so much Ace.” He came onto the porch. He pulled me close and kissed my lips. I missed this. I missed him. We went inside and watched movies and cuddled. This is what made me happy and at home.

I stayed with Hayden and we had a blast. I opened my mail and I got an acceptance letter into the University of Southern California and Hayden got into there too, it was truly a dream come true. When I went back to school, everyone was so welcoming and nice about me leaving and coming back so soon. Some people talked but I don’t care one bit. I’m happy and that’s all that matters. But the next big thing is here, graduation. Now that I have a college to go to this just makes graduating easier that it is supposed to be. Graduating has been a dream day since literally forever. Walking up on the stage (Trying not to fall) and getting my diploma is a milestone in every person’s life and I'm so glad to be getting it with my best friends. It’s happening so quickly I can’t believe it. My whole life leads up to this very moment. All the late night cram sessions, all the tests, homework, everything. I ended the year with a 4.0 GPA. I was so wild after this year my grades didn’t slip. But today’s the day. I’m so nervous. But I know everything will be okay. We get to the place that the graduation was being held. “Man, this place looks so beautiful.” “I’m surprised the school had enough money to rent this place considering everything that our school has been through.” We both laughed. We get to our seats and the graduation begins and the principal came onto the mic. “Graduates, Friends, Family. The class of 2018.” The ceremony went on and the part where they give the diplomas was finally here. Oh my gosh, I'm so nervous. They got through everyone. I’m next. “Brooklyn Elizabeth Walker.” The crowd clapped as I went up and got my diploma. It was such a relief. For high school to be over and college to start. The ceremony ends and I immediately find Hayden. It took us a little but we found each other. As soon as we found each other we screamed. “WE GRADUATED!!” We always talked about doing that. We kissed and when we pulled away he said. “We did it, baby. Now it’s college.” “You know it.”

We go outside and find Hayden’s family. His dad showed up. I didn’t expect that to happen. I was so proud of how mature Hayden was. “Father.” “Son” Then they hugged. It was so sweet. “Brooklyn!!” Two little squirts were screaming and running up to me. “Hey, guys! I miss you guys so much. Hi mom and dad, I’m glad you guys could make it. How’s Oregon?” “Actually we have some news.” They take me aside. “Which is??” “We are moving back to California!!” “What?? That’s amazing! What made you guys decide to move back?” “We wanted to be close to our baby girl when she’s in college. Someone told me that it’s important to have your family close.” My mom said. I hugged them. “That’s amazing. Well since you guys are here, do you wanna get dinner. I can see him later, and we are leaving for our big group trip to Bora Bora tomorrow so I have tonight free.” “Sure let’s go.” “Can you give me two seconds I just have to tell Hayden what’s going on. “Hey, babe. I’m going to go out to dinner with my family so I’ll meet you back at your house so we can pack and get some sleep before the flight tomorrow morning. Does that sound good?” “Yeah sounds good to me. See you at home.” I give him a kiss and leave with him and his parents. Everything is falling back into place and I couldn’t be happier. I get to dinner with my family and this is the closest I think we’ve ever been. We laughed, talked and had a really great time. We finished up dinner and I asked them to drop me off at Hayden’s to pack. They drop me off and I go through the garage and walk in through the garage door. “Hey Hayden, I’m home from dinner with my parents,” I said. “In the kitchen.” I walk into the kitchen and he’s pacing frantically and I panicked. “Oh my gosh what’s wrong, what happened?” “I lost something for the trip tomorrow can you help me find it?” “Of course what are you looking for?” “My sexy gorgeous girlfriend. Do you see her anywhere?” He came over and gave me a hug. “Maybe she’s with the crazy cheese girls.” “You can’t go two seconds without making that reference can you?” “Nope, I believe that it is impossible.” “I love you.” “I love you more.”

We meet everyone at the airport for our big Bora Bora trip early in the morning and I walk up to everyone. “Who’s ready for Bora Bora!!!!” “Woohoo!!” Everyone said very tiredly. “Man you are all very eager this time of morning. “That’s because we haven’t had our coffee yet.” Avery said. “That’s why I got all of your coffee orders last night and Hayden is getting them right now.” “Oh, here he is now.” Hayden started handing out the coffee then the man on the intercom started talking. “Flight 505 to Bora Bora please head to your gate now. Fight 505 to Bora Bora please head to your gate now. “Let’s go!!!” Liam said. We all headed to the gate and we were waiting in the terminal when Hayden looks at me. “Everything okay Ace?” “Yeah, just a lot on my mind.” “Another unforgettable trip.” He said. “Another unforgettable trip. After about 8 and a half hours we finally get to Bora Bora.” It felt so nice to be in paradise. We get to the resort and we are all staying in one big suite. Which in Avery’s terms, means hooking up with every guy here. That’s typical Avery fashion. We get to the beach and it’s so beautiful here. But there is something I have to tell Hayden first before this vacation starts. “Hey, Hayden can we talk for a second?” I call him over. “Sure babe what’s up?” “Can we go to someplace a little more to ourselves?” “Yeah sure.” We walk over to this little gazebo hut thing and sit down. My heart was racing, my hands were shaking. There was silence for about 5 minutes. “Hey, what’s going on in that pretty little head of yours.” “I wanna remember it all. Every second, every detail.” He shakes his head. ”I agree.” “Hayden.” “Yeah.” “I’m pregnant.