Mirror, Mirror, On The Wall

Author's note:

The girls I interviewed asked for their names to be changed. 

Author's note:

« Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next »

Chapter Two - Me

“Mirror, mirror, on the wall. Who’s the fairest of them all?”
My room is dark. I do have a lamp turned on, but I muffled the light coming out the top with a towel. I was trying to not wake my roommate who was sprawled across the bed and who had been gifted with no sense of morning urgency or the need to be productive.
The lamp itself is a strange contraption. It does not have a tradition lampshade, but rather concentric circles of dangling red plastic disks strung together. My grandmother had given it to me because she had no use for such an eyesore. I had taken it because I’m cheap.
I peer into the framed mirror propped up on my desk, widening my eyes and stretching my face. It’s a miracle I go outside everyday considering how ugly I am in the morning.

Ugly, ugly, ugly.

The lamp casts the room in an eerie, red glow as if there’s a fire lit. The reflection in the mirror is covered in shadows. My skin looks okay, but only because of science. For when red light is shone over red objects, those objects fade away, soaking in the light and wearing it like camouflage.
It’s like there’s an indigenous tribe on the other side of the mirror, all of them dancing and laughing. Their drums thud in the rhythm of my heartbeat, their chants closer to animal noises than human voices.

Ugly, ugly, ugly.

I pad down the dim hallway to the bathroom. There, everything is bright yellow and the mirrors stretch across whole walls. Here I can see my face is bright red, covered in little spots. The pounding drums become louder.

Ugly, ugly, ugly.

Makeup can be used only to a certain point. But for all the voices that sing its praises, there are just as many ridiculing in respond.
They say it’s fake. It’s a lie. Guys like the natural look any way.
But others say makeup empowers women, that it increases their confidence and lets them go out into the world with their heads held high and hair streaming behind them.
What then, is a girl to do?
We stay up late at night and have YouTube makeup tutorial marathons. We scour Pinterest for the perfect eye shadow color combinations. We raid store shelves in quest of makeup palettes full of tans, browns, and thoroughly uninteresting “naked” colors. We cover our natural beauty with the natural sold in bottles.
But no matter what I do, I look like a walking red blotch.

UGLY, UGLY, UGLY.