The young and abused

Author's note: It inspired me because I am having family issues at the moment with my mom. My dad was...  Show full author's note »
Author's note:

It inspired me because I am having family issues at the moment with my mom. My dad was murdered when I was five and I live with my mom and my brothers and sisters. It occured to me that all these girl out there have had a lot of problems with bullying, including me, and they always try to change things about themselves. I am always told that I am ugly and stupid and that I'll never be worth anything. I was also inspired by some things that have been going on a lot in my school life and one of my favorite movies The Duff.

« Hide author's note
Chapters:  

This is me

My name is Alexa Rodrigo and I am seventeen years old. My mom died  of cancer fifteen years ago and my older sister, Victoria (I call her Vic sometimes), is a sophomore in college, she is nineteen years old, and she lives on campus so here at home it’s just me and my dad. My mom and dad were both born in Mexico and that's where they grew up, but they decided to move to the U.S once Victoria was born. I don’t get along with my dad too well but I try my best to find a way to make it work, he hits me a lot and since my mom’s died he’s been drinking whenever Vic isn’t home. He hits me and sometimes when he is really drunk he punches me too but I have some what learned to deal with the pain. Sometimes if he is really mad at me or anyone else and he is drunk at the same time he whips me with his belt. I’ve been told that I am a very pretty girl but I always disagree with them because I don’t think I am with all my bruises and scars that I do my best to cover up. I have long,  brown hair and green eyes. I’ve been told that I should wear things that match my look, I usually wear things like overalls and sometimes when it’s nice outside I will wear shorts once in awhile but they always have rips and tares in them or sometimes paint stains from when I go to work at my neighbors and help them out at their barn.

I walked into the barn in front of me with two big buckets filled with water to clean the horses, I set one down so that I could open the door. I made my way over to where my neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. Cabil, kept their horses. They had four horses and I loved them, horses had always been my favorite animals. Usually I would get to ride them and we would roll around and play but now I don’t really get the chance to anymore. I am in a lot of sports and other activities at school so now I have a lot on my hand. I am in track right now with my best friend and pretty much my only friend at school, his name is Freddy but his nickname is Cookie because you will pretty much always see him eating cookies wherever he went. We sign up for almost everything together, we don’t really go anywhere without each other either.

I walked over to the first horse I saw, she was also one of my favorites because of how unique her mane was. Her name is Wildfire, mostly because she was really wild when she went outside and her color is the color of fire. I always loved her she is a beautiful horse, I walked Wildfire outside of the barn so that it would be easier to wash her without getting everything else in the barn wet. I grabbed the sponge out of the bucket and rung it out before washing her. Once I was done I brushed her mane and put her back in the barn. I did the same with the other three horses, their names are Clover, Rein, and Booboo. Booboo was the baby of Rein and I loved her she is a black horse with a white mane but when she is out in the sun it kind of seems like she is more of a darker brown but she was actually a black horse. Just while I was brushing through Clover’s mane I could hear the noise of a car pulling into the driveway.

“Alex, you here?” I knew who it was as soon as I heard the deep voice that was a little muffled by his mustache. “I’m in the back, Mr. Cabil.” I yelled loud enough for him to hear me. “Alex, there you are. Thank you for coming over, I’d like you to meet my nephew, Nick.” I turned to see a really good looking boy about my age walking from around the house with a huge bag of horse hay. He set it down on the side of the barn and stepped forward to his uncle and smiled. “Hey I’m Nick.” he put his hand out for me to shake, I reached forward and grabbed his hand and shook it. “I’m Alexa, you can call me Alex if you’d like though.” I kind of stuttered as I spoke to him, he was really good looking. He has blue eyes, and black hair, with a cute and boyish grin, he was wearing a white tank with some old jeans and some working shoes. He had a lot of muscle and he was kind of tall, I squinted my eyes a little and looked at him, his facial features were chiseled perfectly. He smiled at me and his teeth were perfect, his eyes were gorgeous; if you looked him in the eyes it was like staring into a ocean glistening and sparkling in the sun.

“I thought you might want to meet him, he just moved here and he will be going to your school. He’s the same age as you so who knows you might even have some classes together. I think you guys will be good friends.” I gulped a little bit as I listened and began to take Clover back into the barn. “Oh Nick, will you help me get the rest of the hay and take it into the barn?” Nick nodded his head at his uncle, but he was watching me. I took a quick little peek at him and noticed that he was still smiling. His uncle walked around to his car to grab a couple more bags of hay. Nick picked up the bag that he had brought back here and brought it into the barn where I was standing and putting the horse brush away. “Thanks for helping my uncle out with the horses and the barn and everything else. The place looks amazing.” he commented as he began to lay some of the hay out for the horses. “You’re welcome.” I think that was as much as I was able to say without squealing with excitement, instead I steadily smiled to myself. I was facing towards the wall as I took the gloves off that I was wearing and put them up in the shelf that was above me. I turned around to see Nick standing over me with his hand placed against the wall on my left side. He was leaning forward and looking into my eyes.

“Um… I need to get past, so if you’ll just excuse me.” I tried to get past him but I was trapped up against the wall. He chuckled lightly to himself before responding. “You’re cute, you know that?” he looked into my eyes intensely, and I felt like melting into my shoes. This really cute boy standing in front of me just met me and told me that I am cute. “I don’t think that I am, now if you'll just excuse me.” I tried to push past him again, he used his other hand that wasn’t on the wall and placed it on my shoulder and picked up a small bundle of my hair and he began to run his fingers through it lightly. His fingers went through my hair easily, he smiled again before he brought his hand to my chin. He leaned forward and kissed my cheek lightly, he backed away slowly and I quickly ran past him but I could hear him laughing at my eagerness to get past him.

I ran past Mr. Cabil on his way to the barn. “Mr. Cabil, I just realized that I am going to be late for practice. I’m sorry for leaving before I was able to feed the horses.” he nodded his head in understanding and continued what he was doing. I quickly ran to my motorcycle and hopped on after putting the helmet on. My uncle sent me the motorcycle for an early birthday present last year. It was in perfect condition and I loved it. “Alex, wait wait wait.” Nick was running towards me, just before I started my bike up he quickly ran right in front of my motorcycle. He placed his hands on my hands which were on the handle bars. “Alexa, I’m sorry. Do you forgive me?” he was looking me pleadingly in the eyes, I sighed as I nodded my head lightly. “Yeah, I guess I forgive you. Forgive and forget, right?” I responded coldly. He looked me intensely in the eyes before nodding his head and looking at the ground with a sad expression on his face. “I gotta go so can I get through?” He looked up at me again before walking backwards away from my bike. I started it up quickly and rode off back to school for practice. I met Freddy there and we started warming up, I practiced on my events and since Freddy and I were in one of the same events I helped him out a little. He needed some help on getting his trail leg over the hurdles without him keeping it straight underneath him. I talked to him about what happened as we practiced. loved it. “Alex, wait wait wait.” Nick was running towards me, just before I started my bike up he quickly ran right in front of my motorcycle. He placed his hands on my hands which were on the handle bars. “Alexa, I’m sorry. Do you forgive me?” he was looking me pleadingly in the eyes, I sighed as I nodded my head lightly. “Yeah, I guess I forgive you. Forgive and forget, right?” I responded coldly. He looked me intensely in the eyes before nodding his head and looking at the ground with a sad expression on his face. “I gotta go so can I get through?” He looked up at me again before walking backwards away from my bike. I started it up quickly and rode off back to school for practice. I met Freddy there and we started warming up, I practiced on my events and since Freddy and I were in one of the same events I helped him out a little. He needed some help on getting his trail leg over the hurdles without him keeping it straight underneath him. I talked to him about what happened as we practiced.loved it. “Alex, wait wait wait.” Nick was running towards me, just before I started my bike up he quickly ran right in front of my motorcycle. He placed his hands on my hands which were on the handle bars. “Alexa, I’m sorry. Do you forgive me?” he was looking me pleadingly in the eyes, I sighed as I nodded my head lightly. “Yeah, I guess I forgive you. Forgive and forget, right?” I responded coldly. He looked me intensely in the eyes before nodding his head and looking at the ground with a sad expression on his face. “I gotta go so can I get through?” He looked up at me again before walking backwards away from my bike. I started it up quickly and rode off back to school for practice. I met Freddy there and we started warming up, I practiced on my events and since Freddy and I were in one of the same events I helped him out a little. He needed some help on getting his trail leg over the hurdles without him keeping it straight underneath him. I talked to him about what happened as we practiced.“So he hit on you? You’re lucky, he sounds like he is super hot.” I guess I may have forgotten to mention that Freddy is gay. That’s why we can be such close best friends, he has pretty good looks so if he wasn’t gay then he would be really popular and he would probably have dated a lot of the girls at the school that have asked him out but got turned down. His parents and I are the only one’s that he told about it though, he hasn’t told his little sister yet. He plans on telling her but he just doesn’t know how.

“Yeah, I admit he is cute but I think that he knows that he has good looks. He was trying to use them on me, thank god it didn’t work because what would have happened if it did, his uncle could have walked in at any moment and Nick had me trapped up against the wall. What was I supposed to do, flirt back with him and then let it turn into some kind of makeout session or something. No way.”
I got my blocks set up as I was talking. “You should have flirted back, who knows, if you did end up kissing you would have gotten your first kiss at least. He seems to really like you if he was hitting on you that much.” I rolled my eyes at Freddy. I was just about to get in the start position when I looked over at the football players out on the field. I saw the one guy at this school that I had a huge crush on since third grade. “And plus, you need to get over this crush that you’ve had on Dylon. You’ve liked him since third grade and you haven’t had the guts to talk to him since. It might be good for you to get your mind off of him for a while.” I rolled my eyes at Freddy again before looking at the rest of the football players when I noticed a new player on the field. He had just got the ball and started sprinting to make a touchdown. Three other guys tried tackling him but he dodged them and kept sprinting. When he finally got to the field goal then everyone else on the team circled around him and gave him friendly pats on the back.

He took his helmet off, I gasped loudly. The entire football team heard and started looking around for the gasper, then I saw Nick’s eyes lock on me and he smiled as he checked me out in my workout clothes. “Wait is that him?” Freddy asked me as he looked at who I was staring at. I nodded my head and turned back to the team. “He is hot, when am I going to get introduced?” he smiled and waved at Nick. I slapped Freddy on the shoulder as I turned back towards the track and began running laps. “I think you’ll be good. You can introduce yourself because I don’t think that I am going to be talking to him any time soon.” I said to Freddy who was jogging in the next lane. He smiled before speaking. “Fine, I guess a guy’s gotta hook himself up instead of his best friend’s help.” he joked around.

We finished our laps and we went to go grab our water bottles. I took a sip from it before grabbing my gym bag and tossing it inside. “Well, guess what?” I asked as I turned to look at Freddy. “What?” he smiled back. “I am going to beat you in a race to see who can make it to your house first.” I laughed as I quickly sprinted away and ahead of him. I could hear his footsteps behind me and I could hear his laughter. He was really close to beating me but I managed to win. That’s how we are, which ever one of us says it first starts running first and usually ends up winning. “I obviously beat you and you still love me anyway.” I teased him as we stepped inside of his house. “You beat me by like half an inch. And I guess I do still love you, what would I do without my pretty and weird best friend?” he laughed as we went into his room and sat on his bed. I pulled my phone out of my bag and started texting. “I am not pretty first of all and I don’t know what you would do without me, you’re not weird enough to be without me. If you were walking down the street without me then everyone would be asking what happened to your weirdness that you got from me.” I laughed at him.

Before he was able to answer we heard the front door open and we both jumped off the bed and ran for the living room. “Hey kids, how was practice? You getting any better for your next track meet?” It was his mom, Sara, I loved her she was amazing. Since my mom died it was like I still had one when I was here. She is beautiful, she has an amazing personality and smile. Her eyes are more of a golden yellow color like Freddy’s and her hair was always tied up in a messy but fun bun. Her hair was red, and I don’t mean like how some people say that people are redheads with their reddish orange hair. Her hair is the actual color red, and she had freckles circling her cheek bones closer to her bottom eyelids. She was a pretty skinny woman, just like Freddy. You would never know the difference between her and Freddy besides one of them being a girl and one being a boy.

We both tripped on the carpet like we always do and we propped our heads up with our hands and made funny faces at her. We always do that just to be goofy, we were like twins in her eyes. We both looked at each other and smiled before standing up and showering her with hugs. “Hi.” I said politely as I helped her by grabbing some of the groceries in her arms and put them away. I tossed the groceries to Freddy one by one as I shouted what I was tossing. “Cheese.” I yelled, he repeated after me with asmile on his face as he put it in the fridge. “Tomatoes, onions, potatoes, here comes a huge chicken your way Sara.” She caught the pack of chicken one handed and smiled as she put it in the deep freezer. “Thank you for helping Alexa.” I smiled before answering. I nodded my head with a smile before looking at the time and answering with a heavy sigh. “I gotta go home, my dad will be super mad if I’m not there when he gets home from work.” I smiled to keep my cool from bursting into tears from what happened this morning. “Bye sweetie, we’ll see you tomorrow.” Sara said calmly, Freddy and his parents all new about what my dad did to me when he was drunk. I grabbed my stuff and jogged to go get my motorcycle. When I got it Nick was on the field but he was shirtless practicing, I guessed that they might have been doing skins against jersey’s. I tried my best to sneak through without anyone spotting me but I ended up bumping into the gate making it shake and make a lot of noise with it. The entire football team turned to look at me and once Nick saw me he smiled and turned his body. He puffed his chest coolly and flexed trying to make it unnoticeable. “Sorry.” I yelled, I quickly shuffled to my bike and got on it. The entire team was still looking at me but when I got on my bike I saw a couple of them looking at me confused like I had always been invisible to them until now.

I noticed Dylon looking at me and smiling, I gulped as I started my motorcycle up and drove away. I pulled up into the driveway of my house. I sighed before walking around the house and climbing up the house. I made it to my balcony before my dad came bursting into my room with his legs wobbling and he had a beer in his hand. “Where have you been? You were supposed to be here five minutes ago.” before I could answer his fist came in contact with my stomach. “You are a worthless child, and no one will ever love you. No one wants you here, you should just get it over with and kill yourself. No one would notice you being gone anyways. The only friend you have is Freddy and our neighbor who is forty-seven.” “Dad let go of my hair.” he had now grabbed my hair and started dragging me out of my room. “SHUT UP!” he slapped me hard across the face, I whimpered in pain and I was screaming for help. I heard the noise of him setting his beer down on my desk. He picked me up and sat me down in a chair before grabbing his beer again and splashing some on my face.

“Nobody wants you here, no one will ever care about you.” he then lit up a cigarette and the smell burned as I smelt it while sniffling back some more tears. “You know that you should kill yourself, nobody will ever care about you and no one ever had.” he lifted up my shirt a very little bit and put his cigarette against my skin. The smell ofburning flesh came stifling into my nose, my eyes watered but I dared not to speak or cry. He cackled as he stood up and slapped me one more time hard across the face sending me falling out of the chair clutching my cheek and eye. He walked out of the room slamming the door behind him. I got up which didn’t help because I just fell back to the floor and began to sob quietly. A little while later my body didn’t ache as much as it did before but I was so bruised that I couldn’t get up. I crawled over to the stairs as I peeked over the railing to see if my dad had fallen to sleep. He did, I quickly pulled myself back to my room and tossed on some skinny jeans, a black leather jacket, and my favorite black biker boots. I climbed out of my window and down the balcony, once I got to the ground I ran to my motorcycle but then I just decided to take a walk to try to get all of this pain seeping out of me. I walked through the neighborhood with my head down so that nobody would see my black eye and the bruises on my cheeks. I went to the gas station and spent most of my time there drinking a soda and watching people drive through to get gas or some snacks from inside. I sat down after a long time of standing with my head down staring at the side walk.

“Alexa?” I heard that familiar voice and looked up to see Nick standing over me, I looked back down right away when I saw his eyes widen at the sight of my bruises. “Who did this to you?” he knelt down in front of me and put his hand underneath my chin and made me look up at him. A tear trickled down my cheek and I quickly wiped it away. I snapped my head away from him. “Alex, who did this to you?” I could tell by his tone of voice that he was getting irritated of me not listening. Finally I sighed before answering. “My dad.” I mumbled silently. I looked up to see his expression. His jaw clenched and he removed his hand and now he made his hands into fists.

He sat next to me on the sidewalk and put an arm over my shoulder, I layed my head on his shoulder and let some tears run down my face. I could hear his heart beating as I stared out into the lot of the gas station. I closed my eyes and silently fell asleep.

Chapters: