Typical | Teen Ink

Typical

By rswann, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
rswann, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Author's note:

All the characters in the story are based on characters in my life.

(Both MJ and Aiden are standing in the hallway at their school. Aiden is getting books out of his locker. MJ stands leaning against someone else's locker. They both have backpacks. Aiden has his backpack in hand, while Mary has her bag on her back. The lighting focuses on only Aiden.
It is unclear whether Aiden doesn’t see Mary or is simply ignoring her. Both stand at the lockers. Aiden continues to get books out of his locker and into his bag. A minute goes past before Aiden addresses Mary.)

(Still moving things between his locker and bag, Aiden begins talking.)

AIDEN
What class do you have?

MARY
Oh, um, I have English. How ‘bout you?

AIDEN
I don’t know. I’ll figure it. I’m just gonna follow people I know are in my classes until I find it.

(Stops putting things in his bag. Shuts his locker and looks at Mary)

MARY
Are you okay? You seem off.

AIDEN
I just, don’t know what to do.

MARY
About what?

AIDEN
What do you think. I want to be with you and you don’t. You tell me that you like me, but you don’t want to be in relationship. Well what does that do for me. You’re scared to do anything about everything. You want a relationship, but every chance you get you just it mess up. You need to get out of your own head.

(Takes a second to take a deep breath)

AIDEN
I just don’t even know what to do. Should I move on or wait for you to get out of your own way? I want to wait, but you make things for difficult

Mary
Ryan, I….I don’t want to get into a relationship for the wrong reason.

Aiden
I’ll talk to you later.

(Aiden walks past Mary. Light remains on Mary for a moment before fading.)

(The scene opens on Aiden, Burke, and Rachael hanging out in the hallway of their school. There is a set of lockers up stage left. There are five beanbags upstage. Aiden lays of three of the beanbags, Burke sits on one, and Rachael sits on one. The beanbags are of various colors. The fact that there are beanbags in the hallway are meant to show that the school is laid back. The light spreads across the back of the stage to shine on all three characters.  The only place the light does not hit is up stage right. This is where the three have set their backpacks.)

Burke
Come on, let’s go to the store.

Rachael
Aiden, go, and get me something to eat. Please! I have to go back to class and I haven’t eaten all day.

Aiden
I have English class. I can’t skip again. My grade is gonna drop if I keep skipping class.

Burke
What! Are you scared? Come on Pop Pop, let’s go!

Aiden
I don’t even have any money. Besides, I’m so tired. I stayed up all night finishing a project. I’ve only gotten like an hour of sleep in three days.

Rachael
I have Ms. Paskapa. She gave us project yesterday and it’s due tomorrow. I hate her so much.

Aiden
Tell the principal that you can’t be in her class anymore.

Rachael
I already tried talking to him. He doesn’t care. Yesterday he was taking a nap in the office for like the entire day. He’s so lazy.

Aiden
Then stop complaining.

(pauses)

Aiden
Fine, let’s go Burke. What do you want Rachael?

Rachael
Really? Um, get me doritos….and a soda.

Aiden
Fine. Let’s go.

(Aiden and Burke start walking away. The lights dim and Rachael leaves stage. The lights open on Aiden and Burke sitting on the stage in center stage. They both have black bags with food and cans of soda in them.)

Burke
Dude I’m gonna fail History. I skip his class like everyday.

(laughs)

Burke
I didn’t even finish my semester project.

Aiden
How! That counts for so much of your grade. What are you gonna do?
Burke
I don’t know. I’ll figure it out.

Aiden
Well, I’m not even gonna have to worry about these stupid classes.

Burke
Why not?

Aiden
Um, I’m moving to Ohio in a couple days.

Burke
Good one. What’s in Ohio?

Aiden
My step grandparents

Burke
Okay...so what are you gonna do about English?

(Aiden just looks blankly at Burke before the lights fade out.)

(The scene opens on Aiden, MJ, and Rachael sitting on a bus. There are two chairs next to each other. Once in awhile you can hear cars driving past or honking. Rachael is sitting on Aiden and MJ is in the other)

Aiden
Yes, I’m serious. Burke doesn’t even believe me.

Rachael
Why Ohio. What the hell is in Ohio!

Aiden
My parents think that I’m getting in too much trouble in philadelphia. So they are shipping me off to live with my step grandparents in Ohio.

(Aiden says the next line sarcastically)

Aiden
I can’t wait.

(MJ says her next line coldly)

MJ
It sounds super fun.

Rachael
Okay. Aiden you have to come up to my area then.

Aiden
I can’t.

Rachael
I’m not letting you get off of this bus.

Aiden
Seriously, I can’t go. I need to go home and pack. Plus, I wanna take a nap.

Rachael
No, I’m never gonna see you again. You need to come over. I’M serious I’m not letting you get off this bus!

MJ
Just let him go. We obviously don’t mean anything to him if he won’t even spend his last day with us!

(Rachael stands up to let Aiden up. Aiden pauses and looks towards MJ for a moment. Aiden grabs his backpack and starts off stage right. The light fades, still centered on center stage.)