Shane Dawson: | Teen Ink

Shane Dawson:

By BVBangel PLATINUM, Chicago, Illinois
BVBangel PLATINUM, Chicago, Illinois

A lot of people think about careers being the ultimate goal when they grow up. They want to make a lot of money or they want to be rich and famous. When I grow up I want to be something I never had. I want to be a dad. I dont know what  job I'm gonna have or how much money I'm gonna make. But I know for fact my kid is gonna have more love than anyone on this planet and thats all I want.
          -Shane Dawson

Shane was born Shane Lee Yaw on July 19, 1988.  He in Long Beach, California.  He’s a descendent of the Swish, Welsh, Dutch, and English. While his mom was pregnant with him she thought that he was going to be a girl. Once he was born she threw away all of the things that she had bought. As a teenager his alcoholic father would beat him, his brothers, and mom when he was angry.  Him and his brothers got along so well because they were scared of him, in a video he said “He would take out his anger on us almost every night.” His dad abused them physically and verbally.  He was  also overweight. When Shane was 9 years old his father left with another woman and took all of their money. By taking their money they lost the house which made Shane happy because of all the depressing memories in it. When he was 12 years old he started to hate people. As he spent more time with his grandmother, she told him that cookies fixed a broke heart. Since he believed and food made him feel better he began gain a lot of weight. 
When Shane was in 5th grade he moved into a bad neighborhood. They didn’t have a television so him and his brothers drew pictures and moved them with their hands. He wanted a swimming pool but they couldn’t afford it so he put water into a garbage can. When his mom came home she had to cut him out of it. Shane attended Helen Keller elementary. He didn’t have many friends. There was a van full of Christians that told him more about god. He was the second smartest person in the class. One day their principal let them be out of uniforms he wore a shirt that he him make a new friend.  He later went to camp while in the shower the boys that were with him saw that he had man boobs. He actually let one of them touch it. During camp they found out he had a bed wetting problem. His friend transfer so he didn’t have friends. He began to be in chorus with four deaf people. He then started writing movie scripts.
People would always ask him about his relationship with his dad.  To him it didn’t exist for along time.  He now speaks to his dad, but the father doesn’t want his information all over the world.  The last time he has spoken to his was about a year ago. He ended up going to his house and he was scared. That day he acted like a normal person. They have gotten over their past. He felt relieved after it happened. They started spending more time together.  At age 12 he hated his dad. 
At school he was bullied because of his weight and money problems. Shane attended Lakewood high school. As a freshman it was a terrible year for him. He wouldn’t talk to anyone. People thought he was going to eat all of his peers. As a sophomore he still was talking and was good at math. His junior year he started talking. He was a straight a student. He didn’t attend any parties and he did no sports. As a senior Shane took a drama and started making skits there. His  teacher assigned the class to make a video of the 1960’s. When it came to present it the video, the whole class loved it. They all laugh with him, he liked the feeling of people laughing with him. That’s when Shane realized he wanted to make videos for people to laugh at.

Before he started making videos he decided to lose some weight. He has a body Dysmorphic Disorder, which is how he would still see himself as fat. He lost a total of 150 pounds. He was left with 15 pounds of skin from the weight he lost. He then decided to get a surgery to remove the skin.  He couldn’t move for about a month and a half or else stitches  would reopened. Since he couldn’t move he gained 25 pounds. Once that was over his weight was up and down. He’s now more depressed, but he’s seeing a therapist to clear his thoughts. When he was depressed he was sad about work, money, not making movies, and being a comedian. Even though he has everything he’s ever wanted he’s depressed about his body.
Shane has four dogs named Miley, Charlie, Chocolate and Unicorn (or Corny). He also has two cats named , Muffins and Snoop.

On March 10, 2008, Shane made his main channel called ShaneDawsonTV. 3 months later he uploaded "Hodini's Street Magic". At the time he worked at Jenny Craig, Inc. with his mom, and brother. 5 months after uploading the video he got fired, for making a video of him pole dancing at work.  Who appeared on the video was also fired that includes his mom and brother.

On May 4, 2010, Shane’s grandmother (his mother’s mom) passed. She had passed at 10:00 A.M., Shane was there by her side at the hospital for her last week. Shane made to videos while she was in the hospital. The first video was in the bathroom while the second was in her hospital room. That was the last time was seen her on camera.  His brother Jerid dedicated the song called “ Life is a Gift” by Upwards to her. 

Hot Teens Gone Wild on Degrassi! Part 1 - November 21, 2009 (11-minute long special). Hot Teens Go Wild on Degrassi! Part 2 - March 6, 2010 (12-minute long special). SD High: School Dance Disaster - July 3, 2010 (SD High Episode 1) (8-minute long special). SD High: High School Drama - July 31, 2010 (SD High Episode 2) (9-minute long special). Haunted House Party - October 30, 2010 (Interactive Halloween special). Shane Dawson's Love Story - December 18, 2010 (10-minute long Christmas special). SD High: Teens Gone Wild - March 26, 2011 (SD High Episode 3) (7-minute long special). Friends 4Ever - October 29, 2011 (22-minute long Halloween short film). How Shananay Stole Christmas - December 17, 2011 (15-minute long Christmas special). Shane & Friends Halloween Special - October 20, 2012 (7-minute long Halloween special. Emo Love Story - May 3, 2013 (11-Minute long special).
Shane was in Amy Short’s horror  film called “ Friends for Ever” in 2011. Also in 2011 her made a short film titled  “ How Shanannay Stole Christmas. In 2012 he was in a movie called “Smiley.” In 2014 he director a movie titled  “Not Cool” Shane is going to play a part in Smosh’s movie titled “Smosh: The Movie.” In 2012, Shane was in 2 episodes of “The High Fructose Adventures of Annoying Orange.” In 2012 he played himself in 10 episodes of  “The Chair.”April 4, 2014 Shane started working on his movie called “Not Cool.”  The film’s budget was $1 million. Zachary Quinto said the Shane shouldn’t be making any movies. Shane fought back by saying "I like the movie. The producers that I trust like the movie. The test audience liked the movie. I know I deserve to make a movie because I've been working my f***ing ass off these last eight years on YouTube." Shane won a competion with another film he got $250,000. The film was released on September 19, 2014.

In December of 2014 Shane’s Taylor Swift parody Her labels Big Machine Records and Sony, disliked the video and made YouTube take down the video. many of Shane's YouTube channel subscribers started a Twitter protest campaign, using the hashtag #ShaneDawsonSony.
In early 2015 Shane wrote a book which was also published early in the year titled “ I Hate Myselfie.”
On August 9, 2010, Dawson won the award for Choice Web Star at the 2010 Teen Choice Awards.  iJustine, Charles Trippy, Lucas Cruikshank, singer Greyson Chance were also nominated. He was again nominated in 2011 but, lost to Rebecca Black.

Be you. And say f you to anybody that doesn't like that.
         -Shane Dawson

On his third channel he uploads vlogs from his iPhone every day.  He started using it in May of 2010.  Shane often collaborates with Joey Graceffa, BrittaniLouiseTaylor, TheFineBros, JoeNationTV, iJustine, and Bart Baker. In November 2009 he was part of Attack on the Videos are usually accompanied by a mock interview with an "expert" or them acting out the circumstances of the video, if possible.   In 2010, Forbes magazine named him their 25th most famous web celebrity.
  On August 11, 2010, he declared he was making a 30-minute piolt call SD High.  The funding was provided by a digital media group called  Take 180. The pilot was based off of 2 videos on his main channel in 2010. It was released towards the end of September 2010. On March 26, 2011, told his audience he was going to try to get a television show with TheFineBros and BrittaniLouiseTaylor. He did stop making SD High, but restarted it in January 2013.  In January 2012,  he said he was starting on a new television show which would have been semi-based about working at a weight loss center.
  On May 16,2012, Shane revealed he was working on a comedy-horror film.  In March 2012,  he started working on his music career.  It was called “Super Luv”, it was released on iTunes March 31, 2012. “The Vacation Song” was released June 23, 2012. On February 23, 2012, Shane recorded a new single titled “F*** Up”. It was released on YouTube and iTunes March 23, 2012. On October 18, 2012, released a new single entitled “Wanna Make Love To You". In March of 2014, he began a music career. He has released nine singles. The nine singles are called  “The Vacation Song”, “Maybe This Christmas”, “Super Luv”, “This Life”, “Celebrity Tweets”, “D*****bag”, “This Christmas”, and “High School: The Rap”.  “This Christmas” took two days to film.  “Super Luv” was released  on iTunes March 31,2012.
On the music charts it reached 87 in Ireland, 16  on the UK indie chart and 163 on the UK singles chart and 28 on the US iTunes pop chart.  On May 8, 2012 Shane started working on “The Vacation Song”, he had to edit it a little since it sounded too joyful when it’s a break up song.  It was released June 23, 2012 the video was released a week later. In October 2012, Shane starred in a film called Smiley. In December, he released a single called “Maybe this Christmas”.
In September of 2013, he uploaded “Fred is Dead” which received  which reached over 23 million views. He used to post on his main channel every Saturday, but now every Friday. He stopped using his second channel in 2013.

“I am Shane. I’m a comedian. I’m a writer. I’m a director. I’m a YouTuber. I am a Podcaster. I am whatever the f I am and I am Bisexual. That does not define me.”
                                                                        -Shane Dawson

After Shane’s fan watched his vlogs some of them they would call him gay, a queer, and a fag. Shane is truly not a homosexual/ gay. In one of his vlogs he identifies himself as bisexual. When he was 5 years old he told his family that he had feelings for girls but, he also had feelings for boys. His family didn’t allow that because what he felt was against their religion. Shane started to hide his feelings for boys once that started he began to eat his feelings. Weight was gained for over eating.
Shane wanted to truly recognized as gay. One reason would be he would know who he was. Another reason would be it would be easier for him to accept it since he makes videos of him wearing wigs and dresses. He sees himself as feminine. Shane believes that he fully didn’t know who he was. At that point he didn’t want a romantic relationship with either genders. That stopped when he was 18 years old.
Once he started making videos on YouTube people began calling him gay. Shane took offense to it since when he younger he was taught it was wrong. He then again started hiding his feelings for males. Around 21 he had his first kiss which was with a girl, he felt butterflies, a spark, a connection, and love. He thought he was straight so he started dating women. The first year with his current girlfriend he didn’t think about having feelings for a guy. Around the second year he felt guilty for hiding his feelings and having feelings for guys. He started hating himself. As a result of hating him, Shane was depressed and had an eating disorder.
  He went to therapy and learned that a lot of people are on a spectrum. Some are gay and some are straight but, some are in the middle. Also some are more gay than straight and some are more straight than gay. Shane didn’t want to tell anyone so he moved out of the house he shared with his girlfriend. He told her he needed a brake. Through that year he was going to therapy and trying to figure out who he was.
Shane decided to tell his current girlfriend the truth, that he was sexually confused. He didn’t want to think he was gay and he was using her to hide who he truly is. When he told her, she was fully supportive. She told him to figure out who he is.
He doesn’t want to grow old hiding who he truly is then when he’s much older to be who he was supposed to be. He wants to stop hating himself and being depressed. To fix that Shane started telling more people all the people that he told fully support him like his mom, brothers, and friends. He sees that people are open-minded. Shane is unsure about his future concerning who he’s going to end up with. If he gets a boyfriend and their seen out together he doesn’t want more rumors about him like he has  a different life. He just wants to be who he is. He’s gonna love whoever he wants to love. He won’t deny that he’s been in relationships with women that he enjoyed and has done things with guys. Shane likes both genders but, he doesn’t want to label himself. He knows that being bisexual that doesn’t define who he is. Now he knows that his fans, friends, and family love and support him.

Shane has three channels on YouTube with more than 12 million subscribers. On his channels he has some vlogs that he’s serious and he tells his fans what is wrong with him. His other vlogs show him having fun. On some of his serious vlogs he has talked about his dad, his body dimorphic disorder, him realizing that he’s bisexual. Now he’s getting closer to knowing who he really is. He’s still trying to figure out who he is but, at least he knows that all of his fans love him a lot.

Shane had started being more serious. His vlogs have his history which some of his are actually interested in. You can tell that he loves his fans other than at the end of every video he says he loves his fans, you could tell since he's completely honest with his fans and that’s another reason why his fans love him. Shane never let his past affect what’s going on with him now. An example of that would be with his dad, they both are over what happened in his childhood.

Shane made some awesome friends on YouTube like Joey Graceffa, they’re great friends. They made some very amusing, and entertaining videos together. They tried different things with each other, food wise. They did some hilarious challenges together. Shane’s friends are great.

If you want to be successful, and you want to be happy in life, you’ve got to stay true to you.
         -Shane Dawson

On August 9, 2010, Dawson won the award for Choice Web Star at the 2010 Teen Choice Awards.
In November of 2014 his main channel was the 56th most subscribed channel. He had more than 6 million views and more than 1 billion views.  He added a second channel which was the 265th most subscribed channel. He also has a vlog channel that is the 112th most subscribed channel.

Shane has more than 12 million subscribers on all 3 of his channels.  He was once called Mr. YouTube at one point. 
In 2010 he was chosen and awarded as the Best Vlogger.

Shane’s full name is Shane Lee Yaw. He was born July 19, 1988 in Long Beach, California. He has two brothers, their names are Jerid and Jacob. Shane attended Lakewood High School. At Lakewood he was bullied because he was overweight. He fulfilled his dreams as a active YouTuber, parodist, singer/ sing writer, actor, comedian, podcaster, and director. Shane has a body Dysmorphic disorder. Shane first started uploading vlogs on to YouTube March 10, 2008.
Since Shane has a body Dysmorphic disorder (BDD) he, what happens is that when he looks in the mirror he sees himself as fat. Some people with this disorder see themselves as ugly and avoid social exposure to others or turn to plastic surgery to try to improve their appearance. BDD has some features with eating disorders and obsessive-compulsive disorder. It’s similar to eating disorders since they both concern with the person’s body image; however, a person with an eating disorder worries about their weight, and shape of their entire body  while a person with BDD is focus with one part of their body. Someone that has obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), have recurring and distressing thoughts, fears, or images that they  can’t control. A person that has BDD becomes obsessed with what they think is wrong with them. In a video Shane, has said that when he looks in the mirror he sees himself as once again fat. When he did he wanted to work out at the gym. Through the ages of 18-20 Shane, was obsessed with his weight. He felt like he couldn’t eat anything, and wouldn’t take his shirt off because he was scared to show people his scars. Before he got the surgery he didn’t want to wear tight clothes because he didn’t want people to see his fat rolls.

You make vlogs on YouTube
Which is better than food.
But you could never solve a rubix cube.
I’m going this to put you in a good mood.

On YouTube you have a lot fans.
They’ll always love and support you.
Also your grans.
For all that you do.

Since your always truthful
You’ll always get our approval.
Others thought you were homosexual
When you come out as bisexual.

You talk to us
And we listen.
With no fuss
As your future will glisten.

Your a wonderful person 
That didn't let their future worsen. 
I hope you feel happier
Not crappier.

We won't let you down
We don't like it when you frown,
Sorry that this started getting bad
I hope this doesn't  get you mad.