The Magnifying Glass

By , Chappaqua, NY
Author's note: Roosevelt is my high school. All the characters in this play are my friends and peers. Granted,...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Roosevelt is my high school. All the characters in this play are my friends and peers. Granted, all names are changed, but the sentiment and the content is real. High schools - or at least mine - have a problem. I live my life praying for Harvard, bowing down to Dartmouth, and yearning for Yale, but I know that in the end I will just be disappointed -- a 3.0 in eighth grade math will do that to you.
The Magnifying Glass is, if nothing else, a cry for help. I hope the world is ready to listen.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next »

Scene Five: Decisions

SCENE 5: DECISIONS

NARRATOR: Scene Five – Decisions.

JONATHAN STEVENS (enters from stage right, pauses to right of spotlight, and speaks into a cell phone): Jennifer. Be reasonable, here. She got an 84 on her last history test. She can’t go on traipsing away to dance classes every other night with her grades dropping like that (he pauses for a few seconds). She has to drop at least one class. Or two (he pauses, again, for a few seconds). Fine. I’ll tell her (he turns off the phone and briskly exits stage left).

MIRANDA STEVENS (joins ORA STANLEY in the spotlight): I’m not so sure I’ll be able to dance next year as much as I did this year. My parents have been thinking about that for weeks. They like to pretend that it’s actually my decision, in, like, any way. They’ll make me think about the choice for a month or two and then they’ll use weird passive-aggressive persuasion and eventually I’ll bend to what they want. It always happens.

ORA STANLEY: We have adult responsibilities, yet our freedoms are limited and we have to listen to what adults say. Some can push through this, and some – I – simply cannot.

MIRANDA STEVENS: They don’t realize that without my dance classes I won’t really have anything to look forward to. The day will just be classes, homework, drudgery.

JONATHAN STEVENS (yells from offstage): Miranda! Come here just a moment!

MIRANDA STEVENS: If school can’t be fun then dance has got to be! (She exits stage left).