title | Teen Ink

title

By rgrafton8, Battle Creek, Michigan
rgrafton8, Battle Creek, Michigan

Author's note:

Tearing my ACL had a huge impact on my life. Due to my ACL tear, I had to go through 6 months of physical therapy. Even then, my leg would never be the same. 

It was the year 2017, my freshman year at Pennfield HighSchool. I was so excited, [comma splice] and ready for a new year. During August, the last few days of summer, volleyball tryouts were being held. I felt ready, but was I? I had been practicing all summer, waiting to show what I got. There were three days of tryouts. The first day, conditioning and bumping; the second day, setting and digging; and the third day, spiking and scriminging. During the last day all the girls were patiently waiting. For their name will soon be called into the coach's office. Time, it felt like it took forever. One by one the girls were called into the office. Freshman were called in first. They called our names in alphabetical order. Soon, they called my name. I was terrified, anticipating my every breath. Finally, I was ready to head into the office. But I was worried, If I had made it, I would be thrilled, but if I didn’t, how would this impact my life? I went into the office preparing myself for the worst, knowing I was going to get cut. I was waiting, knowing the coach was going to say that I didn’t make it. I could hear the words coming out of his mouth, “Riley, [capitalization error] i’m sorry but we’re going to have to cut you”[punctuation error] . I felt devastated, anticipating for reality to begin. I was standing by, patiently waiting for something to be said. Soon, a minute goes by and there is nothing. The room was dead silent. There were no sounds of deep breathing, sighing, or words being spoken. All you could hear was.. “Drip…… drip…… drip”[punctuation error] , the sound of the bathroom showers dripping. There were no signs of facial expression. He wore a gray shirt, khaki pants, and tennis shoes. Finally, the silence was broken. As coach John began talking, he started to show this huge grin on his face. I knew it, I knew from that moment that I had made the team. There were no words that needed to be said. John’s facial expressions said it all. Then, the words came out. “Riley, I am happy to inform you that you have made the team. Congratulations.” I was very excited. At that moment, I was very happy and so grateful that I am [incorrect word here] apart of this team. As I walked out of the office, I had a huge grin on my face, trying not to show it, so I wasn’t considered bragging. As I walked out of the building, my father had been patiently waiting for me dressed in his police uniform, sitting in his police car. I walked to his car with a huge smile on my face. My father knew from looking at my face that he didn’t have to ask me if I had made the team. All my father said was, “[capitalization error] congratulations, I’m so proud of you.” The ride home was very calm. I kept thinking about volleyball and what this season may hold. When I got home, my mother had asked me If I made the team. Of course I had a big smile  on my face and told her I made the team. My mother was very happy, and was very proud of me. She knew that I had been working all summer for this, for I deserved this. On the night before school started, I was anxious. On the first day, after school, the real volleyball season begins. The first weeks of practice is always very stressful, especially on the coaches. In a short amount of weeks before our first game, our coach has to decide where they are going to put us. Coach John is the head coach for varsity, and our coach for j.v. is coach Dinkins. 

The month of September rolls around, and volleyball season begins. I was so happy, [comma splice] I had made the freshman team. As a team, we were ready to play. After school ended, it was practice time, the best part. As we started practice, I became nervous. We were getting ready to spike, and God knows I was terrible at spiking. My team gathered in a line, and it would soon be my turn. I was getting ready to spike the ball, lining up my feet, jumping up in the air, and…. “BANG”, my knee hit the pole and the next thing I knew I was on the ground. I started to cry, and was in a lot of pain. I tried to get back up and I couldn’t, I fell back down. I heard people screaming from a distance, “Riley, are you okay?” and I tried to say “yes”, but all that came out were cries. My tears dripped off my cheeks like waterfalls. No one noticed. Moments later everyone was running to my side. I was so confused. Why couldn’t I have stood up? Was I okay? As I opened my eyes, everyone was gathering around me. One of my teammates had rushed over to me, and she went to tell the athletic trainer. As my teammate came back, she had brought Jackyln, our athletic trainer with her. Jackyln immediately rushed to my side asking if anything had hurt. I screamed at the top of my [incorrect word here] lounges yes, for my entire body ached;I felt drained.By the time Jackyln grabbed my knee and assessed what was wrong, I was already in so much pain. When I sat up, I looked at my knee and wasn’t sure if I would be able to walk. My knee was red and swollen. Both my coach and my athletic trainer helped me up, grabbing onto my arms, I felt helpless.I wasn’t sure if I wanted to stand. When they stood me up, I fell back over. They lifted me up again and stood me up. I was on my feet, hopping into a chair on the other side of the gymanism. When they sat me in the chair, I immediately started to cry. All I could see were tears. After a few minutes, I started to calm down. As the tears had left my eyes, I tried not to think about my knee. At that moment, I felt defeated, for I knew the pole had won. Jackyln immediately lifted up my leg, trying to justify what happened. After 5 minutes of  agonizing pain, Jackyln finally stopped and came to a conclusion. “Riley, it appears you have a torn ACL”[punctuation error] . I was shocked, so I just went along. After Jackyln told me what was wrong, she asked if it was okay if she called my mother. I immediately said yes. As Jackyln called my mother, I knew she would be angry. Minutes later, my mother entered the school, furious. As she entered the gym, she began to yell. “WHAT HAPPENED! WHY DIDN’T YOU CALL ME?” she exclaimed. I was embarrassed. As my mother started to calm down, she became more worried. She became more concerned as she talked to Jackyln to figure out what actually happened. My mother was furious, but she was not surprised. For she knew I have done worse. 

I walked out of the gym that day with crutches, [incorrect word here] barley lifting my leg off the ground. My mother helped guide me to the car. That night, as I got home felt was the worst night I’ve ever had. I was uncomfortable and dizzy. My head was spinning, like a merry-go-round. When I got home, I immediately turned to the couch. The couch was soft and smushy. When my father got home, he was overwhelmed. He had a rough day at work, to finding out his daughter had torn her ACL. I couldn’t imagine what was going on inside his head. When my father left the living room, I could hear my parents arguing. They were arguing as if I wasn’t here. After 30 agonizing minutes, I finally fell asleep. 

The next day was torture. Even though I woke up knowing I wasn’t going to school, all I felt was pain. That morning, my mother had called my aunt. My aunt is a surgical nurse at Bronson who helps with [spelling error] suregies. Knowing my aunt, she immediately came over. When my aunt arrived to the house, she was anxious and curious. Finally, my aunt had confirmed what the athletic trainer told me. I had completely torn my ACL. An hour later, my mother called another a medical doctor at Bronson to schedule an MRI for my knee. Due to vacations and other plans, I had to wait 3 [spelling error] agozing months until my MRI appointment. After my MRI appointment, my mother scheduled my surgery to replace my torn ACL. While waiting to make an appointment for my surgery, I had to wait 3 more weeks. 

The day of my surgery, I was terrified. Knowing that I was going to be put under anesthesia. Before the doctors put me under anesthesia, they gave me lots of numbing shots on the back of my knee. They placed me on a gurney, on my side. First, the doctors began to examine my leg and decide how to approach. They began with numbing shots. These shots were very painful, [comma splice] it felt like torture. At that moment, I was holding onto my mother’s hand for dear life, trying not to move. I was in so much pain. All I could feel were the needles pushing into my skin, deeper and deeper. I felt that pain repeatedly five times. Finally, after feeling like it took forever, they were done. After they finished numbing my knee, I couldn’t feel anything. Then, I looked towards my mother, wanting the pain to stop. “You were brave, that’s all over now,'' my mother cried. I knew I was going to be okay, that the worst part was over. Finally, I was taken on the gurney into surgery. As I was taken away, I knew my mother was crying. In the corner of my eye I could see her sobbing. Her eyes were red and her tears ran off her cheeks like raindrops. As I got pushed into surgery, they held a gas mask over my face. “Breath deeply” they said. I took one big inhale and exhale. After my first inhale I began to count backwards from ten. Ten….. Nine…. Eight….. Seven……… At that moment, I started to drift off to sleep. 

As I wake up, I see my family standing around me. I was in a room, it was filled with flowers and pillows. In the corner was a wheelchair. I knew that was for me. Looking over at my family, they all had big grins on their face. “You did great!” my father said. I knew I was ready, I wanted to leave.

I wanted to run as fast as I could out of this hospital. 

I wanted to go home. 

As we left the hospital, I was excited. I was drowsy, wanting to sleep. 

One month later, physical therapy began. Every other day; Monday through Thursday, I went to Physical Therapy at Nova Care in Battle Creek, MI. I was told after physical therapy was done, that I could return to “normal activities”. For the rest of my life, whenever I do any type of physical exercise, I would have to wear a brace. During the last few days of physical therapy, I got fitted for my brace. For this brace was made out of Titanium. I knew that wearing this brace was going to be a pain. 

The next year flew by. Volleyball tryouts were being held again…. I wanted to try out. So, I showed everything I got, and that wasn’t enough. Three days later, I got cut from the team. For I knew that I only limited myself to physical activities. I knew that if I did any other sports, my knee would feel restricted. I was told all my life that my legs hyper flex. Hyper flexing means that my legs standing straight, is not normal. For my legs will forever be different. 

I would feel different.