Behind the musical: part 1

Chapters:   1 2 3 4 Next »

The morning

I stared at the flattening iron that morning, like my eyes were burning it instead of it burning my hair. I was a nervous wreck and I was cursing myself that I didn’t bother to straighten my hair the night before. Then I wouldn’t have had to wake up at 4 a.m. just to straighten my huge Shirley Temple like hair. You may be wondering why I’m so nervous, well I’ll tell you; it’s the auditions for Beauty and the Beast. I know it doesn’t sound like anything but it is. See I want to be on Broadway
You could not imagine the pressure I was under. It was all or nothing.
and I’m trying to start now for every opportunity to test how good I am. That starts today with my audition for Belle. I know I’d have it in the bag if I didn’t have one extremely big obstacle; Julia. She’s done more shows than I have and she’s in 8th grade while I’m only in 7th. Everyone thinks she’s going to get it, not only because she’s in 8th grade, but also because she is popular. I have to admit she is pretty dang talented, she’s got that big voice and is one of the most theatrical people I’ve ever met. Now to be fair I’m quite amazing, sorry if I’m not being that modest. Pretty much the definition of me is a diva. I’ve also been a competitive dancer since I was 7, done shows here and there (where I pretty much always get the lead), and have been singing since I could talk. Now Julia and I, we used to be really good friends and as soon as we found out we were doing Beauty and the Beast she said she wanted Belle. I was a little worried about that because I didn’t want to ruin our friendship. So I talked to her about it, she seemed pretty sincere at the time, but then we got the scripts and it started to get serious. We were gossiping about each other and being pretty nasty. She’s the first person I’ve ever met that I was worried about. Just as talented and confident as I am. I picked up the straightener and flattened out my hair. My eyes looked good today, blue as always I’ve never been able to describe what color blue but I will always know; they are my daddy’s. My dad died when I was ten from leukemia, I know I know it’s sad but I’m 12 now and it’s ok. After I finished, I pulled back the front and pinned it in the back. It looked like a good hairstyle. I was as close to looking like Belle as I could with my hair like this considering I’m a blonde. I pulled out my black eyeliner and drew a thin line on my waterline. I also clumped some mascara on the top lashes and foundation for the rest of my very pale face. I couldn’t eat that morning; I was so worried about getting beat and humiliated. So I pulled out an apple, I munched on this in the dreaded silence. Oh I just realized I never told you my name; it’s Regan.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 Next »