Home > Art / Photo > Photographs > Mehandi - a tradition

Mehandi - a tradition This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Report abuse
Description:
Mehandi is a type of paste made out of a special kind of leaves and applied to hands of girls on special occasions. It is a tradition in Arabic countries and in India. Mehandi imparts a deep red color to the hands and that color has a symbolic meaning. It means purity and deep love.

This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This piece has also been published in Teen Ink's monthly print magazine.

More by this contributor
About this contributor

This art/photo has 7 comments. Post your own!

musicispassion said...
wow this is to detailed and unique what special occasions r they applied on?

Ha-5-rika replied...
Aug. 6, 2011 at 10:22 am :
Special occasions like marriages, festivals and most importantly around this time of the year.

musicispassion replied...
Aug. 6, 2011 at 2:34 pm :
cool how long does it take to have that put on ur arm? have u had it done before?

Ha-5-rika replied...
Aug. 6, 2011 at 4:52 pm :

Yes, I did it many times before. It is not that difficult and gets better with practice. Well, the time depends on which kind of design you choose to apply and how good you are at it.

I mean, the design above is so detailed and intricate. It would require more effort and practice. Only experts can pull it off. So, I got a mehandi artist to put it on my hands (those hands are mine).

I can surely do much simpler designs.

musicispassion replied...
Aug. 6, 2011 at 5:11 pm :
that's sweet does it smear?

Lola_Black said...
Sweet! It's so intricate, I could stare at it for hours

KapSlapThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
DUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!