Home > Art / Photo > Photographs > Military Salute

Military Salute This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Report abuse
Description:
Challenge Photograph an item or image that denotes military I selected to use my younger brother (we are triplets) and photograph him in a military jacket.

This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This piece has also been published in Teen Ink's monthly print magazine.

More by this contributor

This art/photo has 24 comments. Post your own!

USCG13 said...
Mar. 22, 2012 at 1:52 pm:
I love seeing a young man joining the military! I'm going into the coast guards and I think people need to start respecting this fellow, don't be rude or a jerk, for they fight for our country

0311BulletSpongeUSMC said...
Mar. 9, 2012 at 2:51 pm:
@Sponda you definitely  are not lol

sarahmichelle98 said...
Nov. 11, 2011 at 10:36 am:
happy veterans day:)

Hanmo1 said...
Jan. 7, 2011 at 1:07 am:
Hi, this isn't an oil painting and I have no idea why it's posted on the mag.

maizyiscrazy replied...
Apr. 13, 2012 at 4:48 pm :

Uh, hi yourself.

Nobody says that this was an oil painting... Don't know where you got that. 

Clearly the TI editors saw something that you didn't; I think that it is a wonderful picture, and if you look more carefully, you will see a deeper meaning.

0311BulletSpongeUSMC said...
Oh fyi, That isnt JUST a military jacket. That is a United States Marine Corps Dress Blues Blouse, looks like Lance Corporal Or Corporal Insignia on the side. Haha only I would know this....

Sponda replied...
Apr. 28, 2011 at 4:48 pm :
lol it's a corporal's rank. good to know I'm not the only teen in the world who's crazy enough to know UMC ranks (:

Daffe10 replied...
Feb. 28, 2012 at 6:21 pm :
It's about time people like you showed up. I'm trying to memorize every rank for every armed force in the U.S. So far, I have the officers for Air Force/Marine Corps/Army memorized, along with insignia. Same with enlisted. I'm trying to memorize Coast Guard and Navy, but they are so completely different from the rest it is extremely confusing.

Sponda replied...
Mar. 1, 2012 at 1:23 am :
Ah thanks, but I can't pretend to be a normal military enthusiast. I was in NJROTC for two years and my older sister (who also was in NJROTC) graduated USMC boot camp about 4 months before I posted that, so I am hardly a typical case.
As for knowing military branches ranks: I know Coast Guard and Navy best because I was C/CPO in NJROTC and I know USMC because of my sister, but I only know the general order of other branches because I was used to the Navy's rank structure. At one time I had ... (more »)

Daffe10 replied...
Mar. 5, 2012 at 5:35 pm :

Okay, so I replied, and it didn't show up! So now I have to retype it! UGH!

Yeah, ranks can get pretty confusing, I've been watching a documentary series about the Navy lately (Carrier) and it shows the men and women serving on a Nimitz class carrier (whatever that means). The, for lack of a better word at the moment, leader of the carrier (I'll call him Captain Smith) is shown on the show from time to time, and every time I see him, I think THEY'RE LETTING A CAPTAIN BE IN CHARGE?!?... (more »)

Sponda replied...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 3:26 pm :

Okay so I'll try to answer everything you asked/commented, but I beg patience because you're asking a lot & because I was only in NJROTC for 2 years (freshman & sophomore years before I graduated 2 years early..long story..)

I was always more interested in the people/leadership side of the military (which is what our JROTC program featured anyway), so I can't tell you much about weapons/aircraft/ships. However, I can tell you a lot about ranks, jobs, termino... (more »)

Daffe10 replied...
Mar. 7, 2012 at 8:34 pm :

Yeah, as I was thinking about the wookie question shortly after asking it, it dawned on me that I probably didn't want to know why they were called that.

Yeah, I knew that the military did a lot of peace keeping missions and a lot more than just running around with rifles all day, but that was unfortunately after I made a complete fool out of myself.

Y!A can get pretty brutal, so if I ask a question that I really don't want people to know it was me asking, I have a whole other a... (more »)

Daffe10 replied...
Mar. 7, 2012 at 10:58 pm :
Oh, I remembered another question. I thought that it was USAF=Airman NAVY=Sailor USMC=Marine ARMY=Soldier USCG=Coast Guardsman(is that what they're called?) and then as a whole they were called service-members -men -women. I didn't think they were all called soldiers. Am I wrong?

Sponda replied...
Mar. 8, 2012 at 10:19 pm :

Hmm, AF vs. Navy fighter pilots: I don't know which is easier to achieve, but I have some friends still in JROTC that would know that I'll be seeing over spring break. Besides, our LCDR used to be a pilot in the Navy before he retired.

Though I don't think having a Gold Award would help you much, the AFJROTC might. Again, I'm just a teenager; I don't know everything. Go talk to a recruiter from all the branches of the military. They can't force you to commit to a branch before th... (more »)

Daffe10 replied...
Mar. 16, 2012 at 12:46 pm :
Yeah, I have thought about going to a recruiter. I just feel like it would be kind of weird, me being fifteen, going to a recruiter. But my brother has a friend, and his brother is a pilot. I don't know what aircraft he flies, but he said I could ask him questions, so it's all good, I guess. You have been a great help though, so I thank you. If I have any more questions about JROTC, I will definitely ask!

Sponda replied...
Mar. 17, 2012 at 10:33 pm :
Trust me, the  recruiters won't find it weird that you're so young and thinking about all your options now. It might actually really help you. have you thought about doing ROTC in college or attending an academy?

That's good that you have someone you can ask then.

Any time! I wish you the best of luck!

Daffe10 replied...
Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:33 pm :

Why, yes. Yes I do think about ROTC or attending one of the academies. Especially after reading In the Company of Men: A Woman at The Citadel by Nancy Mace. I’ve basically decided to make the USAFA my main goal, then, if I’m not accepted, try one of the senior military colleges. Lastly, if I’m not accepted to any of those – hangs head in shame – I’ll settle for ROTC at UT at Austin or Baylor. But hopefully I’ll be accepted to one of the first t... (more »)

Sponda replied...
Mar. 24, 2012 at 7:59 pm :
Oh my goodness, don't tell me you're a Texan too? I visited UT Austin over my spring break this year. As far as I've heard, their ROTC is pretty good.

Good for you! Be sure to tell your recruiter(s) this, they might be able to find extra scholarships for you. Best of luck getting into these schools/programs. I take it then that you fall within the top 8% of your class (as UT Austin requires for 75% of its accepted freshman class)?

I actually really wanted to go into the Coa... (more »)

Daffe10 replied...
May 23, 2012 at 4:16 pm :

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry I have taken so long to respond. I tried twice, and it never made it through, so here’s another try:

Yes, I am from Texas. I have heard that they have a pretty good ROTC program. I was watching videos on Det. 825’s (their AFROTC program) page, and part of it featured the… I forget what it’s called, but when they are told what AFSC they will be training for. A nice amount of them were given pilot or CSO slots. Of course, the AFA would b... (more »)

0311BulletSpongeUSMC said...
Semper Fi!