Home > Art / Photo > Other Images > First Knife

First Knife

Report abuse
Description:
This is the first knife I made in my venture into self taught bladesmithing. Specs: 11 3/4 inch blade High Carbon Steel (don't know exactly what grade) copper inlay poplar sheath and black birch grip (polyuerethaned)

More by this contributor

This art/photo has 7 comments. Post your own!

IamtheStargirl said...

Oh. My. Gosh.

This is mind blowing.

Prepare for a series of questions :]

What language is the writing in, and what does it mean?

The other question I had in mind now seems irrelevent.

Seriously awesome.

Michael B. replied...
Aug. 17, 2010 at 6:54 pm :
it says "dragon warrior." wow i made this almost a year and a half ago. i've got to post pictures of the other knives ive forged.

IamtheStargirl replied...
Aug. 17, 2010 at 8:06 pm :
Yeah! Was this one of your firsts?

IamtheStargirl replied...
Aug. 17, 2010 at 8:07 pm :
Never mind the question. You said  it was your first in the description. You must have really studied or something O.o

Michael B. replied...
Aug. 17, 2010 at 9:29 pm :

lol funny thing was i was first starting so metalurgically i had no idea what i was doing. o_O the knives i make now are typically made from 5160 spring steel (truck leaf springs) while this is a really difficult steel to work with it is a great steel that provides an awesome combination of superior edge holding capabilities and flexibility. if i took one of my recent knives and put it edge on edge with this one and then hit it repeatedly with a hammer on the spine i could easily cut my first... (more »)

IamtheStargirl replied...
Sept. 20, 2010 at 4:34 pm :

Wow, cut the old with the new? That's pretty amazing.

I love how technically eloquent you are about the knives.

Georgia said...
Jul. 14, 2009 at 4:13 pm:
This is a beautiful piece of craftmenship. You did such a awesome job with your first piece. One can only imagine what future pieces will look like! You sure do have a talent here. Keep up the good work. Awesome!!!