Bob Marley: One Love Movie Review | Teen Ink

Bob Marley: One Love Movie Review

April 29, 2024
By Broden BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
Broden BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I found this movie because my Mom asked me to go and it sounded interesting.

The Bob Marley: One Love is a fictional flashback into the story behind Bob Marley and his music. The movie holds a conflict between the political sectors of Jamaica that are fighting against one another with hatred and violence. Bob Marley’s main goal is to bring peace to the country. The movie starts off with Marley’s struggles as a kid in Jamaica. Such as battling with poverty, and violence. This is where the main characters Bob and Rita who are played by Kingsley Ben-Adir and Lashana Lynch were first displayed showing affection towards one another. Bob was also shown discovering his love of music. 

The plot is bounced throughout the struggles and conflicts of his life and his musical career. His journey through playing in America and being on stage in America and Jamaica. Marley fights through the challenges of gun violence, haters, and members of the political parties of Jamaica Labour Party and People’s National Party.

The plot of the story is easy to understand and comprehend. The story has many moments where you can feel inside the shoes of the characters because of the stellar acting done by Ben-Adir and Lynch. The above-average acting results in a bit of drama and excitement for viewers.

This is a perfect movie for those who are die-hard Bob Marley fans, because of the descriptive details. But, there is too much time spent showing the crafting of the songs. Multiple scenes get boring and I wanted to skip to the next part. With the music scenes, there is a lot of talking, which could be enjoyable for someone with a lot of patience. However, for me, this is dreadful. 

The talking is usually composed of a lot of lying down and chilling, which gets extremely boring. The director should have focused more on the events and actions in his life that really give viewers a reason not to look away, compared to the scheming of the songs. The deep Jamaican accent is also extremely difficult to understand without captions. There are many moments where the actors speak extremely fast and it sounds like they are talking in gibberish.

All in all, I would recommend this movie to anyone who really loved Bob Marley and his music. Although, for the average person, I would not recommend this due to the repetitive events and scenes.


The author's comments:

I watch a lot of movies and saw this movie at the theater. My mom recommended me this movie.