Why is Physical Exercise Important? | Teen Ink

Why is Physical Exercise Important?

April 29, 2024
By LucySense1 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
LucySense1 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

300,000 people die per year due to obesity. We can decrease that number by caring for our bodies and being physically active. Physical exercise helps to improve mood and is good for your body. One key thing to maintaining the physical exercise you get is to stay motivated, which most people struggle with. Obesity is something that can happen if not enough physical exercise is done. Another factor for people not doing physical activity is the fear of failure. 


The most important thing about staying physically active is feeling better physically and mentally when exercising. Exercising regularly will help with mental health extremely. According to the Better Health Channel’s article entitled “Exercise and Mental Health” “When exercising, the level of certain chemicals in your brain consisting of serotonin, stress hormones, and endorphins, change.” Another key factor to why exercise improves moods is because when the body is exercising regularly, it helps to get a good night's sleep. A night of good sleep can help manage moods. While exercising may take a lot of energy at first, after time and consistency, your energy levels will increase allowing the body to do more physical activity without feeling exhausted. 


One of the many struggles people see when trying a new exercise routine is the task of staying motivated. Many things contribute to the struggle to stay motivated. Some contestants have a busy schedule, poor health, fear of failure, or motivation runs out quickly. When exercising it is important to stay motivated and have an end goal One of the biggest factors in losing motivation is setting unrealistic goals. This causes motivation to be lost because if the goals aren’t achieved the brain won’t see the outcome of the physical activity. Some ways to stay motivated when exercising are setting achievable goals, and doing things that are exciting, or that are enjoyable. When the motivation is lost it is hard to gain it back. 


If daily exercise isn’t achieved, one of the most common outcomes is obesity. I think obesity is an outcome because once motivation is lost people can get stressed out or even be angry at themselves, which can cause them to eat more or not be productive. Many health concerns come along with obesity. Some include high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol or triglycerides, and high blood glucose. This is why obesity is one of the highest outcomes of no daily physical exercise.


Another reason why having physical exercise, including in everyday life, is because it will build confidence. Some people do physical activity so they feel better about themselves. This will make them feel like they can wear more stuff or they can do more exercise. When some people say that they want to exercise more they set unachievable goals which causes them to feel down about themselves because they don’t feel as if they can do it. If you set more achievable goals and complete them one by one and work up to those big goals that will build confidence. A lot of people don’t start exercising because they have the fear of failure. Setting goals that you can achieve will help get rid of that fear. 


If we don’t stay physically active the number of 300,000 deaths caused by obesity a year can increase. One, of the many reasons and benefits of physical exercise is that it improves your mood and helps you sleep better. Something that makes exercise difficult to exercise is the lack of motivation. Obesity is something that can happen if you don't get enough physical activity. The fear of failure is what causes people to procrastinate with physical exercise. Physical exercise is crucial so that people can be physically and mentally healthy. 


The author's comments:

Being physically active is important to avoid obesity.